Attending university

Ihyaaud Deen

Q: Is it permissible for Muslim women to attend university to acquire a degree? Some people argue that it is necessary for a woman to acquire a degree so that she may become self-sufficient in life and in the case of divorce or becoming widowed, she will be able to earn a halaal living and thereby fend for herself and her dependants.

A: Before discussing the issue in question, it is important for us to refresh some fundamental beliefs and facts, which will also serve as an introduction to the actual answer.

The following are among our fundamental beliefs:

Allah Ta'ala is our Creator and Sustainer. We belong to Him alone and to Him we will return.Allah Ta'ala is our Absolute Creator and Master and we are His creation and slaves. As the Creator and absolute sovereign Master, it is His prerogative to command us as He wills. As His creation and utter slaves, we are obligated to follow His commands and have no right to question Him.Allah Ta'ala is most Just. He NEVER commits any injustice. Every command of His is also filled with infinite wisdom.A Believer accepts every word of the Qur'aan Majeed as the Divine word of Allah Ta'ala and wholeheartedly submits to every command of the Qur'aan Majeed, whether his puny logic can fathom the wisdom of the command or not.

Now in the light of the above, understand the following aayah, wherein Allah Ta'ala specifically addresses the women:

"And (O you women), remain within your homes and do not display (your) beauty like the former times of ignorance" (Al-Ahzaab, 33)

This verse emphatically commands women to remain at home. They are the queens of the home and they guard the fortresses of their families. While they may leave the home for what Shari'ah has permitted, earning a living for the family is not their responsibility.

Who is Responsible to Earn?

Islam is second to none in advocating fairness and justice. In every dimension of a person's life, one will find Islam advocating the highest degree of justice. As a result of Islam's unparalleled justice, we see that each spouse is allocated their own responsibilities and duties in their marital life.

It is recorded in the Mubaarak Hadith that when Hazrat Ali (radhiyallahu 'anhu) married Hazrat Faatimah (radhiyallahu 'anha), Rasulullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) advised them regarding the manner in which they should conduct themselves in the nikaah. Rasulullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) outlined the duties and responsibilities of each spouse, instructing Hazrat Faatimah (radhiyallahu 'anha) to attend to the duties within the home and Hazrat Ali (radhiyallahu 'anhu) to fulfil the responsibilities out of the home.

From this Hadith, we understand that each spouse has been allocated their specific duties and responsibilities. The husband's duty and responsibility is to fulfil the needs and requirements of his wife and family, such as providing them with food, clothing, shelter, etc. He is thus required to leave the home in order to generate an income through which he will be able to fulfil his responsibilities. On the other hand, the wife has been commanded to remain within the confines of the home and not to leave the home except at the time of need, as she has been allocated the duty of tending to the internal affairs of the home. Hence, she should serve her husband, take care of the children and manage the affairs of the home such as cooking, keeping the home tidy, etc. If each spouse acts responsibly and fulfils their respective duties and responsibilities, the home will run smoothly and they will prosper as a happy family. Each spouse will be able to fulfil the rights they owe to Allah Ta'ala and the rights they owe to each other. Furthermore, both parents will be able to focus on instilling Islamic values into the children and giving them the correct upbringing which they require.