33 Reasons why you SHOULD study under a tutor (and not self teach)

Ml Muhammad Abasoomar

~~~~~

Knowledge is attractive and it's something everybody needs. However, when the correct procedure is not followed, the desired results are lost. The trend of self-study that has become ever so popular in the current times actually contributes to the destruction of pure knowledge. The boom of the internet and its search engines have also contributed to this trend. What follows is an in-depth look at the "Need for a Tutor"

Introduction

To acquire knowledge under the expertise of a fully qualified, Sunnah-conscious 'Alim of Din is absolutely essential. Failure to do so will result in misguidance. In fact, the system of tutorship has been adopted throughout time and was even the practice of the Ambiya ('alayhimus salam) and our pious predecessors. This is the only way in which one will acquire pure authentic knowledge. An added benefit is that one will also discover how to respect the people of knowledge. (see: Adabul ikhtilaf of Shaykh Muhammad 'Awwamah, pg.162 and Ma'alim Irshadiyyah, pg.159)

A common supplication of the Salaf (pious predecessors) was:

التعوذ بالله من تشييخ الصحيفة

"They would seek refuge in Allah from having paper as their shaykh/tutor"

(Ma'alim Irshadiyyah of Shaykh Muhammad 'Awwamah, pg.179)

What follows are a few substantiations for this phenomenon;

Quranic Verses

1. In this world, there will always be a) Those who know, and b) those who don't. In this regard, Allah Ta'ala instructs us in the Quran, "Ask the people of knowledge if you do not know." (Surah: 21, Verse: 7)

2. The Holy Quran was revealed by Almighty Allah Ta'ala for guidance and knowledge of the ummah. But, without the explanation of Rasulullah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) the meanings would definitely be misunderstood. Allah Ta'ala addresses Rasulullah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) in the Quran

"And we have revealed to you the Quran, so that you may explain to the people what was revealed to them."

(Surah: 6, Verse: 44)

This is the strongest, most evident proof for this issue.

Substantiation from Hadith

3. Sayyiduna Mu'awiyah (radiyallahu 'anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam) said:

«يا أيها الناس تعلموا، إنما العلم بالتعلم والفقه بالتفقه، ومن يرد الله به خيرا يفقهه في الدين»

"O people! Acquire knowledge, for it can only be acquired through tutorship. You will only understand if you are made to understand (i.e, by a teacher). Allah Ta'ala grants the understanding of religion to those whom he intends good for." (Tabarani and others; see Fathul Bari and 'Umdatul Qari, before Hadith: 68)

There are several narrations with similar wordings that can be seen in the above two sources.

The famed commentator of Sahih Bukhari; Hafiz ibn Hajar (rahimahullah) explains: "This means that reliable knowledge is only that which is acquired from the Ambiya (Prophets) and their heirs (the 'Ulama)"

A similar explanation is echoed by 'Allamah 'Aini (rahimahullah) in his commentary of Sahih Bukhari.

They both have graded this narration as "hasan" (sound)