Chapter 8

The sun was setting by the time I had made it back to our meeting place. I feared that something might have happened to Elek. Although I did not expect him to wait for hours to see if I would turn up, a wave of relief washed over me as I noticed his figure leaning back against the tree. He must have heard my sigh of relief for he looked up, his lips parting in shock. Without any words being exchanged, Elek shot up and embraced me in his strong arms. I stiffened at his sudden gesture, Elek and I had never hugged. Despite the heaviness in my stomach, something seemed to flutter as his body pressed into mine. It was such an odd and foreign feeling, I tried suppress it from my thoughts. Yet I felt my muscles slowly relax and sink into the warmth of his embrace.

Suddenly, realizing his actions, he pulled away, 'What took you so long?'

'Well I am glad to see you are alive too,' I rolled my eyes and folded my arms against my chest.

For the next few months, Elek and I never went on any missions for it was too risky that our faces were still fresh in the minds of our pursers. Instead, we helped Hannah and Frederick with the underground newspaper.

The primary goal had always been to raise national moral among the Dutch people against Nazi rule. The enemy was aware of the underground press. We had to be ever so careful especially since majority of these newspapers were delivered by hand. Street vendors would hide the Dutch newspaper between the pages of the German newspapers. Butchers would wrap their customers purchases with the papers even waiters would slip some under plates. Some even risked slipping them into mailboxes. Lotte and Lenka were primarily responsible for such deliveries. On one occasion, Hannah had even dropped off complimentary copies at the Gestapo with a sarcastic note attached. They risked arrest, torture and even death.

From the outside Lenka was shy and petite, when she spoke, it sounded as merely above a whisper. But Lenka spoke loudly in print and she was daring at times. Writing was the painting of her voice. This was only the start of her journalism career, she had proclaimed.

It was clear to Elek and myself, that Lenka and Frederick had grown extremely close during their time working together. Frederick was surprisingly always nervous around Lenka, despite his outgoing and flamboyant personality. Lenka seemed clearly aware for the most part, giggling and smiling shyly. When we confronted them about their feelings for one another, they denied it, but it was not hard to miss the somewhat attempted secret glances they gave one another and touches they'd sneak, thinking we didn't see them.

'Ah young love in times of war,' Elek stated, his voice laced with disgust and annoyance.

'Hush,' I said. 'Let them be. Seeing their affection for each other, gives me hope.'

'All I'm saying is I think they are quite young and naïve with romantic ideas about war,' Elek states as a matter of fact.

'Sometimes we all just need someone to make us forget reality,' I say softly. 'What harm is a little romance?'

'War is not romantic.'

I open my mouth to reply to Elek's blatant response when Sven's voice calling out my name cuts me off.

'Yes, Sven?' I enquire.

'My office. Now.'

'And Elek, I presume?'

'No, just you Mieke,' Sven confirms.

Elek arches a brow. I make a face at him indicating that I am just as confused as him. Sven is already seated at the table, pipe perched between his lips.

'How's your German Mieke?' Sven's question seems almost random.

'Good enough I would say,' I replied. 'Why do you ask?'

'A new opportunity has presented itself,' he removes the pipe from his lips. 'Are you willing to replace someone?'

'What have I got to lose?' I shrug my shoulders.

'Your life.'