Chapter 9

She was tall with a slender build. Her hair was a light brown styled in curls which fell just above her shoulders. I was struck by how protuberant her eyes were and the prominence of her cheekbones. Her lips were carefully tinted red and her skin was flawless. She smiled widely as she approached me with a distinct strut to her walk, heels clicking whilst her hips swayed from side to side. She was smartly dressed with a button up shirt and knee length skirt which hugged her figure.

'You must be here for the job interview?'

'Yes, that is correct,' I reply.

'Please have a seat,' she gestures towards the circle of empty chairs. 'I will call you when it is your turn.'

I cross my one leg over the other and swing my heel back and forth. I pretend to flip through one of the magazines laid out on the table. A few minutes pass, before I hear the clicking of heels against the floor and the young woman is standing beside me, 'Please follow me.'

She leads through towards an office. It is a somewhat small room, with just enough space to fit a single mahogany desk which faces the single large window from which the sunlight emanates and overlooks the court yard. I notice the several stacks of paperwork, pens in a tin, a notebook spread open, and numerous filling cabinets. A small table with a typewriter is placed in the corner of a room with a stool beside it.

'Herr Fehemer will be with you shortly,' she informs me.

'Wh—' I almost choke, but quickly recollect myself as Herr Fehemer enters the officer and the young woman politely leaves.

'Apologises for the wait,' he states and takes a seat behind his desk. Without looking up, he pulls out a form and grabs a pen. 'You are here for the secretarial post?'

'Yes,' I answer, still standing awkwardly, unsure of whether to take the empty seat opposite him.

'German,' he questions my fluency.

'Anständig, decent,' I reply.

'Then you have no problem if I switch over to German?'

'Nee.'

'Good,' he says. 'Name?'

'Mieke de Jong,' I hold my breath.

Herr Fehemer glances up at my face for the first time since I entered the room. He appears somewhat shocked perhaps even embarrassed.

'M-Miss de Jong,' he stutters for a moment. He quickly stands to his feet and walks around the table to greet me with a firm handshake. 'Forgive me that I did not realise it was you sooner. Please have a seat,' he gestures towards the empty chair before taking his seat behind the desk.

'Ah you remember me Herr Fehemer?'

'Of course, how could I forget such a pretty face such as yours?'

'You flatter me Herr Fehemer.'

'Could I get you anything? A cup of tea or coffee' he offers.

'Tea please,' perhaps it would calm by nerves.

Herr Fehemer presses a button to a small intercom located on his desk, 'Anneke. Please bring Miss de Jong a cup of tea.'

'Yes, Sir,' a soft voice replies. A minute later the same brunette woman from the reception appears with a tray carrying a glass cup, some milk and sugar. Herr Fehemer thanks her and she quickly scurries out of the office.

'Thank you,' I smile as I bring the tea cup towards my lips and take small sips.

'The pleasure is mine,' he grins. 'How have you been?'

'The winter was rough, I am grateful for the spring. And yourself?' I continue our small talk.

'I could be better. The stress is overwhelming, but I am surviving.'

'I can imagine,' I say, trying to sound understanding, as I stir my tea. 'A man of such high ranking as yourself...'

'So you are interested in a job Miss de Jong?'

'Why else would I be here Herr Fehemer?' I say teasingly as I finish my cup and place it back on the tray.

Herr Fehemer narrows his eyes at me, slides his tongue across his upper lip, 'Well then, shall we begin?'

I take seat behind the typewriter. Herr Fehemer explains that he'll read out a letter which he wants me to type and expects me to keep up with his pace.

'Don't be nervous.'

I take a deep breath and feed the paper into the typewriter, straightening it before locking the paper in. As soon as Herr Fehemer begins his speech, my fingers dance about the keys, filling the room with the rhythmic clack-clack-clack. I stick my tongue out in concentration, trying to keep up with his speed, but sign in defeat, coming to a stop when I have reached a quarter way down the page.

Shit.

Herr Fehemer stops abruptly when he realises that I have stopped typing. I hear his footsteps cross over to the other side of the room and his presence hanging over me and he peers over my shoulder at the paper. I gaze up at him slowly from the corner of my eyes.

'Shall we try it again?' he smiles.

A/N I've decided to insert pictures of the characters who play much minor roles in the story per chapter along the way. Above is a picture of Anneke!