chapter 15

Anneke and I were called on to attend an important board meeting as scribes

Anneke and I were called on to attend an important board meeting as scribes. Several officers were seated around the oval table while Anneke and myself sat at the very back opposite one another. I prepared my papers whilst everyone greeted one another and settled down when I heard a familiar voice which made me look up.

Lieutenant Winter.

I quickly looked down, trying my hardest to pretend that I was focused on the task at hand and wished that I appeared as small as a mouse. I was still somewhat embarrassed about the incident which had occurred on the night of Hitler's birthday celebrations and the morning thereafter.

'Briefing for this week.'

'The Jewish Council have been notified to give up seven thousand of their employees for the deportation, but the protests have set us back on schedule.'

'Were we able to meet our quota?'

'After a house-to-house search, we only managed to round up three thousand Jews.'

'This outrageous!'

'I understand your concern. We have been dealing with the matter accordingly. The Wehrmacht have since been deployed to break the Dutch strikes.'

'We plan to meet with the Jewish Council again. It will be clear that should they fail to meet our demands again, there will be consequences.'

'By how soon can we expect the shipment?'

My hand moved quickly across the page as I tried to keep up with the fast paced discussion. I felt a shoe kick my feet. I scooted away, as I thought it was an accident, but the kicking persisted until the point of a shoe came in connection with my knee. My head shot up in annoyance and my eyes immediately met Anneke's.

Anneke tried her hardest to cover up the mischievous grin on her face, biting down on her lower lip to suppress her smile. I gave a questioning look as if to say – what? Her eyes shifted left and I followed her gaze, only to have my eyes land on Lieutenant Winter. I looked at her confused and she titled her head back in his direction.

This time when my eyes followed her direction, my gaze instantly connected with Lieutenant Winter who sat several seats down on the opposite end. His eyes held mine, still, soft and unblinking. After a few seconds, I turned my head away and stared back down at the page in front of me. I felt my cheeks begin to tingle. I did not dare to look up for the rest of the meeting. My level of concentration deteriorated as time went on as I could not help, but feel his gaze burn into the side of face from time to time.

Once the meeting was over, I shot up, eager to escape to the safety of my desk.

'Mieke, I want ten copies of the minutes of the meeting on my desk by the end of day.'

'Yes, Herr Fehmer.'

I walked hurriedly towards the door with Anneke closely behind me, 'Lieutenant Winter, couldn't keep his eyes off you.'

I spun on heel to look back at her, 'What?'

Anneke pulled me by the wrist so that we were out of earshot from the rest of the existing officers, 'It's true. I don't think he thought anyone would notice, but I did.'

'I highly doubt it,' I assured her even though I knew it to be true.

'You know it's true and I think you liked.'

'Anneke!' I hissed. 'I can assure you, I will never find a Nazi attractive. So I would appreciate it if you—'

Suddenly, a voice cut me off, 'Miss de Jong.'

'L-Lieutenant Winter,' I replied in shock at his sudden appearance and anxious that he may have overheard the last bit of my conversation with Anneke. 'It is good to see you again.'

'Likewise Miss de Jong. I had no idea that you worked for Herr Fehmer.'

Anneke gave me a I told you so look then excused herself, saying she had a lot of paper work to complete by the end of the day for Herr Brandt.

'How have you been?' he asked.

'Good and yourself?'

'Good.'

There was a bit of awkwardness in the air. A heavy silence settled over us. I glanced unceremoniously around and tried to avoid catching his glances. I stood for a few seconds swaying from foot to foot, unsure what to say next.

'Well, I best get back to work. It was really nice to speak to you again Lieutenant,' I smiled.

'Oh, yes, of course,' he straightened his posture. 'I would not like to keep you away from your work.'

'Have a good day, Lieutenant Winter.'

'You too, Miss de Jong.'

I turned away and began to make my way back to my desk, but less than five seconds later I heard Lieutenant Winter call my name.

'Is something the matter?' I questioned.

'Yes, well no,' he stammered and rubbed his hand across his lower face in a nervous fashion. 'I wanted to ask if you are available Friday night?'

'Available?' I smirked, realizing where the conversation was possibly going. 'Lieutenant Winter, are you asking to take me out?'

His face began to flush a bright pink. He looked down at his shoes nervously, fumbling with his fingers and biting his inner cheek.

I pursed my lips, ready to reject his advance until an idea entered my mind which made me reconsider otherwise. My relationship with Herr Fehmer had taken a turn for the worst so quickly, I feared that I had ruined any chance of furthering any close connection with him. Lieutenant Winter, seemed much softer – perhaps a much easier target. I felt that I needed to redeem myself to the resistance. This relationship with Winter may open up the doors to opportunities and information that we needed.

Think about why you're doing this Mieke.

I took a deep breath, and forced a smile across my face, 'Yes.'

A/N Thank you for getting this book to #2 in holocaust! Thank you to everyone who has recently been commenting as this has inspired me to keep writing.