chapter 34: the mole

The first morning back in the office after Fehmer's promotion party was unnerving

The first morning back in the office after Fehmer's promotion party was unnerving. Fehmer's relocation to Poland had been postponed due to the sudden death of Obergruppenführer Schmidt. Not only was Fehmer responsible for organising Obergruppenführer Schmidt's body to be sent back to Germany for the funeral, he also had to explain to his superiors how the accident had occurred.

I looked to the left at the girl with the yellow star who sat at her desk. Quiet as usual for she was not allowed to speak unless addressed.

I wondered what would become of her now.

The two of us were alone for Anneke had left to attend a meeting with Herr Brandt.

I wondered who she was.

How had she ended up as Obergruppenführer Schmidt's secretary?

What was the state of Poland?

What was her story?

There were so many questions which I was burning to ask ever since she walked through the door.

I turned my head back – Fehmer's office door was shut.

I stood up from my desk and made by way over to hers.

'Thank you,' I extended my arm and held out the pen which I had taken from her desk the previous week.

She glanced up for a mere second and quickly took it back before lowering her gaze once again.

'I'm Mieke,' I introduced myself.

She gave me a small nod – she already knew that.

I could tell she was slowly growing uncomfortable with my close presence.

'I was wondering what your name was.'

Her eyes surveyed the room. She appeared nervous and reluctant to answer.

'Rachel,' she replied, her voice above a mere whisper.

'It's nice to meet you Rachel.'

She smiled faintly. She looked uneasy as though she wanted nothing more than for me to leave her alone.

The sound of the telephone rang out in the air. It stopped after a few seconds, followed by the murmur of Herr Fehmer's voice.

'Mieke!' Fehmer called, as he slammed the phone down, causing me to scurry into his office.

'I need you to pick up a file for me from Gerda on the first floor.'

'Of course, Sir.'

I walked the few floors down to the lobby. I leaned against the counter and tapped my nails against the surface as I waited for Gerda to hand me a brown folder. I thanked her as I took the file in my hand and spun around, but stopped in my tracks as the sound of man – a shout with pain behind it and the sounds of a struggle rung through the air.