chapter 23: life

Lenka had been unwell for the last few days. Despite being overcome with nausea and headaches; she had insisted on not taking a single day of rest from work.

Lenka's skin turned pale as the colour drained from her face. She swayed for a moment and shook her head as though to rid herself of the faintness.

'Lenka, are you alright?' I asked worriedly.

'I'm fine,' Lenka insisted as she clutched the edge of the table.

'Mieke, is right,' Lotte agreed. 'Perhaps you should rest for the day.'

'I just need to sit down for a bit,' Lenka tried to take one step-forward, but her legs caved in.

I gasped, my hands flew to face as I covered my mouth in shock as Lenka collapsed. Lotte caught her and lowered her body to the ground.

'Lenka?' Lotte called out repeatedly. She placed her hand on her forehead, then began to fan her face, 'Mieke, get me a bucket of water and a cloth!'

Lotte had loosened Lenka's tight clothing, by unbuttoning the top buttons of her dress. She placed her ear near her face to listen to the pace of her breathing. I knelt by Lenka's side with the bucket of water. Lotte rung out the excess water from the cloth and began dabbing it around Lenka's face before resting it on her forehead.

'Her pulse is weak,' Lotte stated as she placed her fingers on Lenka's neck.

'You've done this before,' I remarked at how fast Lotte had reacted to the situation.

'I used to be a nurse,' she smiled sadly at the memory. Lotte explained how she had once worked for a Jewish doctor for a few months, but he had lost more than half his clients after the invasion and could no longer afford to keep her on.

When Lenka awaked, her eyelids were heavy and she was overcome with confusion. She frowned and attempted to prop herself up on her elbows. Lotte removed the cloth and eased her up into a sitting position.

'What happened?' Lenka asked.

'You fainted,' I explained. 'You were out cold for a five minutes.'

'When last did you eat?' Lotte inquired.

'Not since seven,' it had been a few hours.

'How long have you been feeling like this?'

Lenka explained how she had been experiencing mild abdominal pain for the last few weeks, but that the pain had escalated today. Lotte asked Lenka to lie down, then began to press on her abdomen.

'Lenka, when did you last bleed?' Lotte asked in a serious tone.

Lenka looked at her curiously, as if to say why are you asking me that? 'Not for three... I do not know...four months?' She answered, unsure. It seemed as though her mind was still hazy.

Lotte gave me a look and I instantly knew what she was suggesting.

'Lenka, I think you are pregnant.'

'What?' Lenka's eyes widened in shock. 'Can it be true?'

She shut her eyes as tears begin to spill down her face. I cradled her head against my chest and she sobbed quietly.

'We could...get rid of it?' Lotte suggested.

'Get rid of it?' Lenka raised her voice, her mind now on high-alert. 'How could I do that to Frederick? To myself? ... Oh, Lotte these are happy tears,' she forced a smile on her lips. 'I am carrying his child...our child,' she said in disbelief.

Frederick kissed Lenka passionately after hearing the news. He teared up and assured her that everything would work out. Everyone had mixed reactions, but Elek particularly, had taken it upon himself to show his dissatisfaction with the situation, by avoiding the two since the release of the news.

Four months later, a baby girl was born. She was small, but strong and her parents dotted her dearly. They called her Chaya – which means life or living. But their time together was short – Lenka and Frederick had long decided to give Chaya to the church whom would place her with a Catholic family. Although a difficult decision, they knew it was the only way to truly keep her safe should anything happen to the pair of them.

Lenka wept uncontrollably as Vera took the child from her arms. Frederick tried his best to comfort her, but inside, he was broken too. The site was difficult to watch, I tried my hardest to look away, but my own eyes dripped with tears.

'When the war is over, I'll come back for you,' Lenka whispered to Chaya as she held her little hand. 'I promise.'

A/N I wanted to incorporate my side characters more into the story. Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked this chapter. Thank you!