chapter 33: secrets laid bare

I drew back quickly

I drew back quickly. The kiss was brief. I felt my face flush red. The thought of what I had done quickly seeped in. My stomach shifted uneasily. I could hardly swallow. Elek stared at me wide eyed. I wondered what exactly was going through his mind. I too felt stunned with my own actions. We stared at each other awkwardly, as if we were having a silent argument about what to do next.

I hardly had a moment to react as Elek pulled me into a fiery and passionate kiss. He held my head in his hands – which were strong yet gentle at the same time.

Elek's kiss stole the words that I didn't need to say. In this moment, our secrets laid bare – the spark of love that existed between us – that had long been shoved under the rug. One kiss and I had the courage to acknowledge the feelings which I had tried to suppress for many months. It was like the world around us no longer existed. There was no war. There was no fear that any day in the near future could be our last.

His hands made their way down and rested on my waist. I inhaled sharply as he pulled me closer with such force, I felt as though the winds had been knocked out of my lungs. My hands travelled up his chest before I wrapped my arms around his neck.

Unexpectedly, his hands drifted lower and gripped the back of my thighs. Lifting me up onto the kitchen counter, he settled in the space between my legs. He peppered my neck with delicate kisses. The warmth from each spot where his lips had touched my neck, quickly spread like a fire through the rest of me.

Somehow we make our way to my bedroom. I hastily unbuttoned his shirt, my hands flowed onto his open skin. His hands venture over my body, until he finds the zipper at the back of my dress. A shiver ran down my spine as his fingers touched my bare skin. Elek pulls away. Both our breaths are shaking. I close my eyes. He leans in, so that our foreheads rest against one another.

'Mieke,' he whispers slowly.

He slid the dress off my shoulders, exposing my chest. I let it fall to the floor and stepped out of it. I watched as his eyes widened in anticipation.

We were unable to contain ourselves any longer.

We both knew it was coming.

'We should have done this a long time ago,' he smirked.

***

The beams of sunlight slowly creep through the blinds, shining on my face, waking me up from my deep slumber. I rub the sleep from my eyes and burrow myself into the soft sheets.

Wait.

I propped myself up and surveyed the mess of discarded clothing on the bedroom floor. Oh God. I suddenly became aware of the heat radiating from another body. It was unexplainable – the feeling of waking up beside another being.

Elek began to shift about, rubbed his eyes and drew a long, exaggerated yarn out. Slowly, he opened his eyes - they seem to light up when they connect with mine.