chapter 20: little winter

I woke up in a daze, tucked under the covers of a large bed

I woke up in a daze, tucked under the covers of a large bed. I propped myself up on my shoulders and felt a sudden pain shoot through my body. I looked down at my bandaged hands, the grazed skin on my arms, then lifted the covers to see I was still wearing the dress from last night. I remembered then the events of last night, but did not recall falling asleep on the bed. I looked around at the unfamiliar bedroom – bare walls, long drapery curtains, one straight-backed chair at a small table, a small wooden wardrobe and uniform tossed across the couch. The clock which hung directly opposite the bed read ten in the morning.

I touched the duvet next to me.

It was cold.

I eased myself out of bed and noticed that my shoes were neatly placed side by side. I tip-toed over to the door and gently turned the handle. Wilhelm laid sprawled across the couch, snoring lightly. I shut the door and pondered what to do next.

Should I awake him?

Wait for him?

Or attempt to let myself out discreetly?

I had to report back to my team immediately after the explosion. Either they thought I was dead or caught by now. Neither of them were good options.

I sat down on the edge of the bed, pondering the question of what to do. A single framed photograph on the bedside table caught my eye. It was a picture of Wilhelm – a few years younger – and a little girl no more than the age of six.

But she was different.

Her face was notably flatter, with almond-shaped eyes which slanted up. She seemed to be laughing in the photograph for she had a smile which stretched across her face with her tongue sticking out in a playful manner. She was clutched under the arms by Wilhelm, who held her tightly on his lap.

Wilhelm's face was different. It was one which radiated happiness from deep inside, it spread to every part of him. His eyes were notably brighter. His face relaxed, not so much worn out from exhaustion as it looked now.

Suddenly, the door handle squeaked as it turned. I quickly placed the picture frame back down in its originally place.

Wilhelm poked his head through the door, 'O you're up.'

'Good morning to you too,' I greeted.

'Excuse my manners, good morning,' he opened the door completely and leaned against the door frame. 'How did you sleep?'

'Out like a light,' I stood up and began to slowly cross over toward him. 'I must have hit my head really hard because I do not remember coming here to sleep,' I gestured towards the bed.

Wilhelm flushed a rosy pink. 'I hope you do not mind, but you fell asleep on the couch. I did not have the heart to wake you, but my mother had always raised me to provide the bed for the guest.'

'Oh.' Now I too felt my cheeks begin to turn realizing that during my heavy sleep, Wilhelm had carried me to bed, 'That was very kind of you. Thank you.'

The photo frame fell face flat, probably from my inability to place it standing up properly. Wilhelm picked up the frame and smiled down at it fondly, 'I guess you have already seen this picture of my sister.'

'Your sister?' I questioned, a bit surprised.

'Yes,' he smiled and placed the frame back down in its place. 'She's not like other children, but she's still special to me.'

'She means a lot to you,' I could tell.

'More than anything,' he looked down. 'This photo is from three years ago. I haven't seen her since. I miss her dearly.'

'You'll see her again. I am sure of it.'

He smiled sadly then his tone turned cold, 'I'd prefer if we never spoke about my sister again and if you would keep this to yourself.'

'Of – of course... I am sorry...' I nodded, taken back by his tone of voice. 'I—I should go.'

I slipped my shoes on and began to head for the front door.

'Wait,' Wilhelm called out. 'I – uh, apologise if I came off as unnecessarily rude, it's just...' He drifted off, struggling with his words.

In the moment, he seemed so lost, so hurt and broken.

My mind could not comprehend it.

But I felt the urge to comfort him.

I touched his face and traced the small scar which was a result from last night. He was watching me intently. Then we stared at each other in an odd, longing way, hovering in silence, bathing in each other's presence. In a moment, I pressed my lips to cheek, giving him a single soft kiss and leaving without another word. 

A/N Sorry for slow updates, I'm on vacation for another week! Hope you guys enjoy this chapter! What are your thoughts?