Meeting His Parents (Chalant)

Hey, Nightwing0100, I wrote another Chalant oneshot!

It was Robin's fourteenth birthday. The team had had a party for him and it had been fun, but he had somewhere he really wanted to go.

He walked to the zetas when he thought no one was paying attention. Unbeknownst to him, Zatanna saw him heading to them. He teleported to Gotham City, and Zee followed him.

He maneuvered through the busy streets, his girlfriend as close at his heels as she could be without him noticing her. She was surprised that he hadn't by now. He must have been really distracted. He took a turn down an alley. If it wasn't the sunniest day Gotham had probably ever seen, she doubted that he would've done that. She continued to follow him. They walked for several more blocks and down a couple more alleyways, and she wondered why he didn't just take the bus.

Finally, Robin reached a gate, which he opened and walked through. Zatanna looked up at the sign that hung over the gate. 'Gotham Cemetery'.

She curiously followed him. What exactly was he doing at a cemetery? She ran into an Asian woman in a wheelchair who looked familiar somehow. "So sorry." She quickly apologized.

"It's alright. You should see my daughter. She can barely sit still for a minute, and she's fifteen. Runs into me all of the time." The woman gave her a small, sweet smile that Zee definitely knew from somewhere. "I was just visiting the memorial I put up for my mother. She passed away two years ago and I wasn't able to attend her funeral. This is my way to make up for it."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I'm fairly old myself, I turned 49 at the beginning of January. Drives my daughter crazy to think about."

Zatanna laughed. "Thanks for the conversation. But I have to go catch up to my friend."

"And I have to get home before my daughter, or she'll start complaining about how hungry she is and how long it will take to make dinner. Have a nice day."

"You, too."

The woman left.

Zatanna looked around for Robin, finding him just arriving at where he was apparently going. He had walked to a grave under a willow tree by a pond, and knelt down.

There was a single tombstone that read 'Mary Grayson and John Grayson. "'Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.' You have returned. Rest In Peace."

Robin started speaking a foreign language. "Hei, Mama și Tata. Scuze. Imi lipsesti atat de mult. Te iubesc pe. Imi lipsesti atat de mult. Nu te voi uita niciodata, promit." (Hey, Mom and Dad. Sorry. I miss you so much. I love you. I miss you so much. I will never forget you, I promise.)

Zatanna knew that he was speaking in Romanian, but they only words she knew were Mama and Tata. She realized that the grave must be his parents'.

"Robin?" She said quietly.

He looked up. "Zatanna? What are you doing here?"

"I followed you."

"I wasn't expecting you to be so blunt."

Zee walked over to him, kneeling down next to her boyfriend. "Can I say something?" Robin nodded. "Thank you for your son. He's an amazing person, hero, friend, and boyfriend. You did a good job with him. You must have been amazing and I'm sorry that I never got to meet you."

Robin smiled at her, wrapping his arm lovingly around her. "I love you, Zee."

"I love you, too, Robin." She turned her head. Her lips met his and they shared a short, sweet kiss. Then they just sat there for a few minutes, arms wrapped around each other, respecting the graves around them with silence before leaving.

Halfway to the Zeta tube, Zatanna's brain suddenly made a connection, and she laughed. Robin looked at her, arching an eyebrow.

"I ran into this lady who looked familiar. I just realized that it was Artemis' mom."

Robin laughed too. "Took you this long to realize that? I recognized her as soon as I saw her!"

"In my defense, you've met her before and I haven't." Zee stated, sounding annoyed.

Robin shook his head. "You're the best, Zee."

"I know."