Dance (Spitfire)

Late Valentine's Day update. I had 'Shut Up and Dance' on replay while I was writing this... 😂

/////////////////////////////////////////

Wally grinned at his girlfriend, Artemis- god, he'd never get tired of saying, or even thinking, that. She was twirling her curled blonde hair around her finger. She was biting her her lip as her gray eyes darted around.

Wally had to admit, the sheer amount of dresses that had to be at least a thousand dollars was overwhelming. Artemis was wearing a dress she'd borrowed from her friend Bette. He smirked at the knowledge that she was wearing a pair of beat-up sneakers underneath her dress.

He cupped her chin in his palm, making her look at him. "Hey, babe. Don't worry about them, you're gorgeous. You're easily the most beautiful girl here."

Artemis scoffed, but she grinned at him. "C'mon!" She dragged him over to the refreshment table, Wally's personal favorite part of the dance.

As he happily munched on a chocolate chip cookie- which was probably the best one he'd ever eaten- he watched the other couples dance. It was currently a slow dance, something that both teens weren't super interested in.

Wally smirked as Zatanna and Richard made their way over to them. "What's up, you two?"

"Zatanna. Do you see her heels?"

"I borrowed them from Arty," Zatanna shrugged.

"Artemis is literally in sneakers right now," Wally said, giving his girlfriend a look.

She smiled at him. "Why wouldn't I be? You can't see my feet in this fu-" A teacher walked by. "Freaking dress."

Wally, Dick, and Zee all snickered.

"This is probably the first school dance I've been to that lacks hidden alcohol," Artemis said.

"That's Cuz you went to Gotham public schools," Dick snorted. "Not rich people schools where people don't want their teenagers to get drunk and ruin family reps."

"Boring."

Another teacher walked by, eyeing the group of teens.

"Dang, I'm starting to think these teachers think I'm plotting some sort of trouble. I'm just saying I wish something was spiked."

Wally rolled his eyes. "You are a bad girl, hands down."

"You know you love it."

"You two are the exact opposite of the 'good girl, bad boy' trope," Zatanna said.

"It works," Wally said.

"It works," Artemis agreed.

"We're gonna go dance," Zatanna said. "It's fun, you guys should join."

"Maybe later," Artemis said.

She and Wally hung back, watching their friends. "Maybe we should dance," Artemis said suddenly.

"Why not?" Wally agreed.

She took his arm, and they took to the floor. Wally glanced over to their friends. Artemis rolled her eyes yet again. "Don't you dare. Eyes on me."

Wally twirled her around. She laughed, pecking him on the cheek.

"You're holding back," Wally said with a smirk.

"Shut up. We can always stop dancing."

"Nah, I'm good," He said, giving her a big grin.

"I love that dorky grin," Artemis told him.

"Do you now?"

"Oh, yeah. It's hot- I really think the teachers are keeping an eye on me. CHILL OUT ON THE STARING, BUDDY!" She suddenly said loudly to the passing teacher.

Wally snorted. "You're gonna get expelled, Arty."

"I don't really care."

"Your Mom would blow a gasket."

"That she would. She might would even yell."

"Wow, I wouldn't risk that."

Artemis laughed. "I lo- I really like you, Wally West."

"I really like you, too, Artemis Lian Crock."

"I don't like how you know my full name but I don't know yours."

"Wallace Rudolph West."

"Really? Rudolph?"

"Yep. After my dad."

Artemis cringed. "Ouch."

"It's not so bad once you get used to it."

"I don't think I'd ever get used to Rudolph."

"You would, trust me."

"If you say so, nightlight."

"Should have known those 'Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer jokes were coming. I've met you."

"You certainly have." Artemis gave him another kiss. The song switched to a slow dance, and Artemis rested her head on her boyfriend's chest as they both swayed to the rhythm. Wally kisses the top of her head, and they just relaxed, enjoying each other's presence as they moved along the dance flor.