Chapter 8

"When did you realize you were in love with Nancy?" Jane raised an eyebrow at Nayun. They were currently at the ice cream parlor sitting at one of the tables outside.

"What brought this on?" Nayun shrugged.

"I'm curious." Jane shakes her head and chuckles.

"Well... It all started after the death of my halmeoni."

           14 year old Jane stared at her wall for what seemed like days when it was only for hours. Her eomma and appa tearfully informed her that her halmeoni had passed away in her sleep as soon as she came home from school. She had no reaction what so ever, she felt numb, she asked her parents how before going up to her room. Her parents had come up to her room to check on her and tell her to come down to eat but Jane never replied. They started to grow worry for their daughter, Jane hasn't moved from her bed since she came home from school. She was just staring at her wall with no emotions on her face. Their doorbell rang and they opened the door to reveal a 12 year old Nancy who looks like she was out of breath. Nancy bows at the parents before they brought her into a hug.

"I'm sorry for your loss eomma, halmeoni was an amazing woman."

"Thank you Nancy-ah." Jane's mom said as she wiped her tears away.

"How is Jane unnie doing? You sounded very concerned for her." The parents look at each other before looking back at the small girl.

"We don't know... She hasn't moved or said a word since she went up to her room... She just keeps staring at the wall. She hasn't eaten her dinner yet, we are very concerned for her." Jane's dad said. "That's why we call you. We knew that she would talk to you... Please talk to her, we are worried about her."

"I'll see what I can do." Nancy makes her way to Jane's room but looks back at her best friend's parents. "Please don't worry too much about Jiyeonnnie, I'm sure she is just in a state of shock. I will try to get her something to eat by the end of the night." Nancy turns back and walks up their stairs to Jane's room. She opens the door and sees her best friend staring at the wall, just like what her parents said. "Hi Jane unnie..." Nancy said softly. Jane made no type of movement. Nancy walks over to Jane's desk and grabs the computer chair and rolls it over so it was in front of Jane. "I'm sorry for your loss unnie, halmeoni was an amazing woman." No response. "Your parents are worried about you, please have something to eat to ease their mind." Nothing. "Please unnie, your eomma already has a lot to deal with, please eat so she has one less thing to worry about." Nancy sighs and stays quiet for a good ten minutes, just waiting to see if she would get anything from the girl. "Alright, I understand, you need your space. I'll be going now." Nancy walks past Jane but she stopped when she felt a hand grab her wrist. She turns and sees tears flowing down Jane's face as she looks down at her hand before looking up at the younger girl.

"S-Stay." Jane looks up and Nancy feels her heart break. Jane never liked to show her emotions, she was one of those people who hated emotions, she felt as if they were vulnerable and that's something she didn't want, she felt if you were vulnerable, you will let your guard down and people hurt you that way. But the way Jane was looking at her killed her, she would give the world if it meant that Jane would be happy. "P-Please. Y-You can't l-leave me t-too. E-Everyone I l-love leaves m-me."

"Oh unnie..." Nancy sits on her bed and Jane roughly grabs the girl and begins to cry into her shoulder. "I will never leave you, you heard me? No matter what happens, I'm always on your side." Nancy picks up Jane's head and wipes her tears away. "I love you, and nothing is ever going to change that. You're stuck with me for life... Okay?" Jane nods as Nancy puts her back on her shoulder. "You will always have a shoulder to cry on, someone to lean on, and someone who will love you unconditionally."