Chapter 20

Nancy looks up from her phone when she hears a car horn in her driveway. She gives Jane a small nod before entering her car. The girls hug each other before Jane pulls out from Nancy's driveway.

"Thanks for doing this unnie, it means a lot to me."

"Of course."

"I knew you had plans with Daisy-ah, but I appreciate you taking some time out to help me." Jane looks at the girl and nods without saying anything. "I would have called Yeonwoo-unnie to help, but she wasn't feeling good. I think she has the flu or something. I was planning to go over to her house later with some soup and medicine in an attempt to cheer her up."

"Right..." Jane pulls over and looks at the girl. "Well, the only way to learn how to drive is to get in the driver's seat. So let's switch places." Nancy nods and both girls get out the car and switch places, Nancy in the driver's seat and Jane in the passenger's seat. "So driving. Everyone thinks it's easy when it's not. People think it's just step on the gas but it's more than that. When you're in the car, you are responsible for not only yourself and the people in the car, you are also responsible for outside the car."

"Outside the car?"

"What I mean is that you are responsible to the people in the cars around you. One little mistake and you can put someone at risk. Always remember that." Nancy nods. "Alright. So before we begin, let's just go over some concepts..." Jane goes over the basic concepts of driving as well as explaining the gear shift and other things such as lights, turning lights, etc.. "So you think you got it?"

"I think so."

"Nice. So when you're ready. Readjust the chair and mirrors, make sure you are able to see what's in front, the side of you, and what's behind you." Nancy nods and does as she's told. She looks down at her hands for a moment, she's nervous to drive, especially with Jane in the car and this being her best friend's car. "Don't be nervous. You're going to be fine. I'm right here." Jane holds Nancy's hand. 

"What if I'm bad?"

"Everyone starts off rocky when they first learn how to drive. I don't expect perfection from you." She rubs Nancy's back. "Don't overthink. You'll be fine. I'll make sure you're okay. This is my job as your best friend." Nancy frowns at the words best friends, she's beginning to hate those words together now. "Stop frowning, you'll get wrinkles, and if I'm being honest with you? No one wants a wrinkly Nancy."

"Hey!" Nancy hits Jane's shoulder and gives her a puppy dog pout. "Don't be mean to me. I'm vulnerable right now." Jane playfully rolls her eyes. "This is a huge next step of my life, you don't understand how much this means to me."

"Alright princess, if you're done being dramatic, we can actually start."

"Not until you apologize to me."

"I'm sorry for making fun of you. I'm sure everyone would love wrinkly Nancy." Nancy hits her again as Jane laughs.

"What am I going to do with you?"

"You can't get rid of me that easily. I'm stuck to you forever."

"Unfortunately."

"Now who's being the mean one." Nancy gives her an innocent smile. "Alright, now seriously, are you ready?" Nancy takes a deep breath in before nodding. "Check your mirrors before pulling out. Make sure no one is approaching you or is close. When you feel it's safe, you can pull into the road." Nancy nods again and looks through her mirrors, luckily for her, no cars were on her street. She puts her indicator on before driving into the street. "Good job! That was good, you looked through your mirrors and checked to see if it was safe enough. Now we can actually get into the lesson." Jane compliments. Luckily for both girls, Nancy's neighborhood isn't always filled with cars, it gave them a safety net.