Chapter 6

At the airport

»Bye Mase.« says Kayla

»Be safe Kay. And don't worry about our parents. I will call you if something happens. Call me as soon as you land.«

»Yes, sir.« Kayla laughs.

Kayla then hugs Mason and tells him she loves him. Mason got a strange feeling like Kayla is saying goodbye forever. He doesn't mention it to Kayla because she already looks like she is about to cry. So he just said »Goodbye Kay. Stay safe.«. She then answers »Bye.« and leaves Mason alone and goes to her gate.

»Why did I sense something is wrong? I hope it was just my imagination. I hope everything goes well.«

A few hours later Kayla arrives at the John F. Kennedy's airport and there are Christopher and George already waiting for her.

»Kayla! Over here!« says George.

»Hey George. Hello Christopher.«

»You can call me Chris.« says Chris.

»Welcome to USA and welcome to New York.« says George.

»Thank you. I was looking forward to this visit.« Kayla answers.

»I hope you like our town. It is bigger than Ljubljana probably but you will get used to it.« says Chris.

They walk outside where Kayla sees multiple Mercedes cars and asks: »Which one is ours?«

Chris says »The first one is yours to use until you are in town and the second one is mine. Right now we will all be in the first one for the ride to our apartment and then I will leave you to settle in.«

»You don't live with your parents?« says Kayla.

»No. I go to Columbia Business School and I live on campus.«

After that they left and drove quietly to the apartment. When they got there Christopher said goodbye and left and George and Kayla went to the penthouse where they were greeted by Natalie.

»This is Kayla? Hey. I am Natalie and I am your stepmother. You can call me Natalie or Nat.«

»Hey. You are so pretty. You can call me Kay or Kayla.«

»Thank you for the compliment.« says Natalie.

As Natalie says that two people come closer and Natalie notice them.

»Kayla, this is Ramon. He will be your personal driver while you are here. The other person is Enrique. He will be your personal assistant.« says Natalie.

»Hi guys. Nice to meet you.« Kayla says and then turns to Natalie »Do I really need them both?«

»Ramon will drive you wherever you want and Enrique is here to help you organize your day.«

"Miss Smith, here in New York there are parking problems that you don't need to care about. This is why I am here." says Ramon.

"Ok. Thank you. Natalie, would you mind showing me to my room please?" says Kayla.

"Sure, Kayla."

After that they go one floor up and Natalie shows Kayla her room. She also shows her around.

"There is your walk-in closet. On the left are the shoes. I hope they fit. And on the right are the dresses that I hope fit you. You can put your clothes in here. You will need to wear a cocktail dress tonight. George is throwing a welcome party for you so that you can meet some business partners. Your assistant for make-up and hair will come in about an hour. It is now one o'clock. The party starts at six. Anyway back to the tour of your suit. You have your own bathroom and here is a telephone. Press number one to call the kitchen. Number two is Ramon and number three Enrique. You have it in written next to the phone. Now I will leave you to get ready. Choose the dress wisely."

With this said Natalie leaves the room and Kayla phones the kitchen.

"Hello, Mrs. Smith. My name is Leah. How may I help you?" answers the voice on the other side of the phone.

"Hello, Leah. Can you bring me coffee and some food?"

"Absolutely. What kind of coffee? With milk? With cream? Would you like a croissant with your coffee?"

"Yes please. And can you do me a latte macchiato please?"

"Of course. It will be ready in five minutes."

Kayla hangs up and goes into the bathroom and showers. When she finishes she sees that Leah already brought her coffee and a croissant. She quickly drinks the coffee. When she is done brushing her teeth her assistant for makeup and hair comes and helps her get ready.

Hours past quickly. Kayla is finally ready. It is 5.50 and she has 10 minutes until the party starts. There is a knock on the door. When Kayla opens George says "You look amazing. Are you ready to go downstairs?" Kayla then answers "Sure. Let's go." After that they walk to the stairs and when they get there George tells her to stop and wait for him to announce her. George then leaves her alone and runs to the stage and says "Attention everyone. Please, everyone, turn around to the stairs. I present to you my daughter Mrs. Kayla Smith." After that Kayla starts walking down the stairs but she trips in the middle and almost falls but someone familiar catches her.