Chapter 9

Kayla and David just got to Seattle. When they went to the exit someone shouted "DAVID!" and they went to him.

"Rafa, what are you doing here?" asks David.

"I came to pick you up. Who is this with you?" asks Rafael.

"This is my wife Kayla Smith Santos. Kayla this is my assistant and boyfriend Rafael Gutierrez." says David.

"Nice to meet you Rafael." says Kayla.

"Nice to meet you too Mrs. Smith."

"Please call me Kayla."

"David, what is going on? You didn't tell me you got married."

"I will explain it to you later, ok?" says David.

In that moment Ramon comes.

"Miss Smith, your Mercedes is waiting for you. Or will you be driving with your husband?" he says.

Kayla looks at David who answers "Kayla will be driving with me and Rafa. You can take her luggage."

"Ok Mr. Santos. No problem."

They go to the car and David sits in the driver sit and says to Kayla to choose where she wants to sit. She looks at Rafael and decides to sit in the back. Rafael sits in front and they leave the airport.

While they are driving to the apartment Rafael turns to David and asks "So what is the story here?"

"I married her so that my dad would stop bothering me and to save her from George Anderson's plan. She is an old friend who needed my help and I needed hers." says David.

"What does this mean for us?" asks Rafael.

"Nothing. We can be together like before just not in public." answers David.

"Ok. So Kayla where do you come from if you don't mind me asking?" asks Rafael.

No answer.

"Kayla?" asks David.

Still no answer.

When Rafael turns around he sees Kayla looking at the piece of paper in front of her. David stops the car in the middle of nowhere and Rafael sits in the back. He asks "Kayla, what is this?" Kayla now finally realizes that both men are looking at her and gives Rafael the piece of paper. He starts reading loud:

"Kaylee!

What is going on with you? Why didn't you tell me I have a shot with Mason now that his wife is dead? You also missed my birthday. Can you please tell me what is going on with you? I am getting worried. Please answer me. I hope you contact me soon because otherwise I will hunt you.

By the way I have news about your father's health. He is stable but very weak. He told me that the chemo is hard for him but that he is hanging in there because he knows that he has your support. He had a seizure last week and he is now in a hospital again. Please contact him if you can.

Love

Hill"

After Rafael reads the letter Kayla gives him a picture of Boyce, Monica, Mason and her.

"Kayla are you ok?" says David.

"Yes I am fine. I knew that my father was sick but not that he is that sick. I also didn't know Mason's wife died. She was my friend."

"I am so sorry Kayla." says Rafael and hugs her.

"Thank you. Wait when did we stop?" says Kayla surprised.

"We stopped when you didn't answer Rafael." says David "But we can go on if you are really ok."

"This would be nice. I am sorry I am not more interested in seeing where we are driving."

"It is ok. We understand you. I will sit here with you so that I can make you smile again."

Then David starts the car and they drive on. After about 10 minutes Kayla's phone rings. She answers.

"Hello."

"Hi Kaylee."

"Hey Mase. What's up?"

"Nothing. I just wanted to know if you are alright. You didn't call me so I got worried."

"I am fine. I am in Seattle. By the way why didn't you call me when dad had a seizure?"

"How did you know that?"

"Hill wrote me a letter. She also told me that your wife died. But we will talk about this later. I want to know if you can communicate me with dad."

"Yes absolutely." Mason says and then turns to his father and says "Dad, Kayla is on the phone. She wants to talk to you."

"Sure thing." Boyce says and takes the phone from Mason.

"Kayla, hello. What is going on? I thought you would be home by now."

"Sorry dad. Things here went different than I thought they would go. I am now in Seattle with my husband and I think I will be staying here and not returning to Ljubljana. The main thing is I am happy."

"A husband? When did this happen? And what happened with George? When are you coming to see us? We need you."

"I know dad. I will explain everything but first I need to talk to mum too."

"Kaylee. Are you okay? We didn't hear from you in a while." says Monica.

"Mum, I am fine. Don't worry. I just wanted to tell you both the truth about my stay in USA."

"Please tell us everything." says Monica.

"Is Mason also listening?" says Kayla.

"Yeah." says Mason.

Kayla then looks at David and Rafael and starts "So at first I was staying with George and Natalie in New York. I had fun and met an old friend who is now also my husband. We got married in Vegas and then told George about this. He was happy for us. Then we moved to Seattle. I haven't been to our place yet. We are driving from the airport. I hope I get to see you soon. Now I have to go. Love you guys."

After that Kayla turned off her phone. After a few more minutes of driving they arrived at their home at the center of Seattle. David gave Kayla a tour and showed her the bedroom she will be sleeping in. He also told her that he was two rooms away in the same hall. After that he left her to settle in. Kayla was surprised to know that everything was already unpacked and put in her walk-in closet. She threw herself onto the bed and started crying hard. She fell asleep.