Chapter 5: Underdog!

Here they are UwU
TJ on the left, Cyrus on the right

Cyrus POV:

'Hey.' To my surprise, he greeted me.

I looked back up to gaze into his blue eyes, 'Hi.'

He pointed to the swing, 'is that swing taken?'

I wasn't really sure about sharing the swings with anyone else, especially TJ, but he did look like he needed it, I shook my head, gesturing towards the empty swingseat.

We sat in awkward silence for a while before TJ asked, 'Do you...hang out here a lot?'

I can't believe it, I'm actually sat here with TJ Kippen, this was really weird for me since my life is usually uneventful other than Andi and Buffy drama, maybe I can actually have something to contribute in my next conversation with them, 'Only when I'm feeling bad about myself, so.....fairly often, yeh.'

TJ nodded, pushing on the ground to swing a little, 'Yeh...me too.'

I frowned, starting to swing a bit too, 'What do you have to feel bad about? You're the captain of the basketball team!' This guy doesn't realise how lucky he is to have that status, to have friends, to be respected! For me I'm just known as the nerdy, nice kid which means I don't have a personality of my own.

TJ looked incredibly venerable for a moment, 'you don't know me...I got stuff.'

I raised an eyebrow, 'bet you I got more stuff.'

For the first time in my life, I saw him smile, 'Bet you I can swing higher!'

Slightly taken aback, I pushed my legs harder on the ground to try and make me get as high as TJ was swinging. But due to my short legs (and fear of swinging high) it was impossible.

Noticing this, TJ jumped off the swing and stood behind me. I felt his hands gently push my back as I started to go higher than I've ever been before, being able to see the entire playground. Even though I was having fun, I was starting to get a little nervous.

'Underdog!' TJ shouted, running quickly underneath my swing as I shrieked in fear and excitement. 'You want another one?' He asked, now grinning.

'No Thankyou!' I said politely.

'Mmm too bad.' He smirked and for a second I thought he was about to do something that would prove what I had heard about him was true, but of course he didn't. I was actually having so much fun, and we had only just met.
TJ laughed a little as he realised what I must be thinking, 'Don't worry, I don't bite.'

I blushed, 'I'm...I'm sorry.'

He shook his head, 'It's ok.....everyone thinks the same.'

I tried to find the words but I couldn't.

TJ gave me a sad smile, 'I'll leave you alone now, you were here first, I shouldn't have bothered you. Sorry.' he went to leave.

'TJ!' I called after him, dragging my feet on the ground, bringing me to a stop.

He turned around.

I played with the bottom of my shirt, feeling slightly awkward, 'I just...I don't really know anything about you. I mean, all I know is that you're good at basketball and what everyone at school says which probably isn't even true.' I inhaled, 'What I'm trying to say is.....if you were to...turn up here at the same time as me, I wouldn't mind...sharing the swings.' This boy...there was something about him that just made me want to try and be his friend. Maybe it was because I knew Amber was worried, maybe it was because I would feel bad otherwise. Or maybe it was because swinging with him just then was the most at ease I've felt in a long time.