Chapter 33: You are family

CeCe realising she's eaten too much cake, to be honest, I can relate to that.

TJ POV:

It was pretty early in the morning and although it was a Saturday, I'm not a stranger to having trouble sleeping. The plan was to sneak downstairs with minimal disturbance as Amber, Andi and CeCe were probably asleep since it was around 6:00 am and get a coffee. Creeping down the stairs, only pausing when a stair creaked, I began to head towards the fridge when I heard sniffling coming from the person sat at the kitchen stool crying. CeCe. I tensed up as I realised how awkward this is, she spotted me, startled, and proceeded to wipe her eyes with a tissue. 'I'm sorry, I thought no one would be up!' She let out a raspy voice as her throat was scratchy from all the crying.

'No...it's ok...what's up?' I asked hesitantly, going over to make my coffee.

Shaking her head, CeCe set her tissue down, 'The anniversary of my mother's death is coming up and I usually try to get all my crying out before the family come over in a few days so I'm not a complete wreck!' There was a small gap of silence, only filled with the sound of my coffee being poured, before she continued, 'This year without Ham.....and Bex coming back a week after...it's going to be harder than the rest especially with Mei. She's always trying to one up me even on mother's anniversary celebration...but I guess I can't talk,'

Taking the seat beside her, I smiled, 'What do you do to celebrate?'

She returned the smile, obviously pleased I had a genuine interest, 'We give sacrificial offerings to her such as food and pray her spirit lives on to guide us. It also brings the family together as we show our love and respect to my mother so her relationship with the mortal world is positive. Sometimes, if we need it, whilst we pray to her photos, we ask her for advice and assistance as she plays a part in our fate,'

'That sounds like a lovely way to celebrate someone's life,' I responded, still a little uncomfortable that she was crying.

She nodded, 'It is...except Mei is the only person other than Andi who can comfort me this year and let's just say she isn't sympathetic!' This was followed by an eye roll.

I thought about it for a moment before offering, 'Well...I could come,'

She seemed a little surprised, 'You probably wouldn't like it very much, there's a lot of traditions, Mei is a handful, Ling will be coming with the twins who will cry and then there's Ronald-'

'It's ok if you don't want me to...I get it's a family thing,' I half laughed as it sounded like she was trying to turn me away from the idea.

'Oh TJ,' CeCe placed a hand comfortingly on mine, 'You are family,'

Those three words seemed to cause a surge of happiness to flood through my system. Family. I have a family now. One who loves and supports me. Well...at least I hope she does when I tell her I'm gay.....still haven't done that yet. I couldn't stop myself from grinning like an idiot as I felt entirely accepted, 'Thankyou CeCe...for everything,'

Patting my hand, she withdrew her own, 'I'd love it if you came, Amber too,'

I smiled wider, 'I'm sure she'd want to come too,'

There was a small pause, 'You couldn't sleep again?' CeCe asked, clearly only registering that I came down really early just now.

'Mmm,' I hummed mid coffee sip, 'I can't help it but hopefully tonight should be better with the medication they prescribed me,'

'That should help, and if you ever need anything I'm here,' She reassured me.

'Thanks CeCe,'