𝟓. 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

TWO WEEKS.

For two weeks many things can change. Traditions can be formed.

From now on, every Friday morning, I go to the cafe nearby with Kayla to have breakfast and coffee with her. And every Friday, she wears the same Varsity jacket and her hair is in a messy hairdo.

I don't know how it has happened, but we now have a tradition. Reminds me of when I had traditions with my family and friends too. I wonder what my friends who live on the Reservation would think.

If only Seth and Leah were alive... they would have loved to help me find out the truth about Kayla.

Speaking of Kayla...

Today, she is late for class. And when she comes into the classroom, panting, her face flushed, having obviously been running to school, the pedagogue motions to her to take her seat.

"Thank god you're all here, safe and sound!", he exclaims. He exaggerates all the time, that's what I hate in him. Otherwise, he is a good pedagogue. He teaches well and he pays enough attention to all of his students.

The class is looking at him, confused. What does our pedagogue want to say? Is he really glad that we are all in class today? There must be something important going on. What is it? I haven't seen any posters about it neither at school nor around the town.

"What do teens usually do on a Friday night?"

Everybody raises a hand. And everybody has a different answer. Some say they go to the mall, others attend parties. Some spend quality time with relatives. There are some who travel to places. I answer that it depends on my mood. I can't say that I bury myself in magazines about cars and mechanics. I don't know if I want my classmates to know about that passion of mine.

The pedagogue picks Kayla, who hasn't picked her hand:

"Kayla, what do you usually do on a Friday night?"

Kayla looks up from her notebook. "Erm... we have a family night at the cinema?"

The pedagogue claps his hands. "That's right, Kayla! You guessed it!"

The class is even more confused right now. They probably think the pedagogue hasn't taken his medicines.

"We are going to have some classmate bonding time at the cinema this Friday!", he exclaims and that is when the class livens up and bursts into applause. A night at the cinema with classmates? Not exactly what I've had in mind for this one, but it will help me get to know Kayla better. Anything for the plan to work.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

But truth to be told, even if it wasn't for the plan, I would have still hung out with her. Kayla is cool. Maybe the coolest girl I've met if we exclude Lizzie. Not that Bella and Leah aren't cool (or weren't cool, like in Leah's case), but there's something in Kayla that makes me want to spend time with her. I haven't felt that as strongly as when I was with her whenever I was with any of the other three women. Which is surprising to me, because the pull was almost as strong when Bella needed me, but then it ended up that it had been the unborn baby Renesmee that had actually needed me.g

In the afternoon, the first thing I do after school, besides promising to let Alice help me dress up later, is to complete as much homework as possible. I want to ensure I have a lot of free time this weekend. Who knows? Maybe Kayla will be free too?

Kayla, Kayla, Kayla...

* * *

The movie, which was surprisingly enjoyable, has finished already and the whole class is at the food court. Most of our classmates have taken seats at random tables. Kayla and I, and some other girls from our class too are waiting on a cue at Subway. I am debating whether to have meat in my sandwich or not.

"Hey, Kayla? Nice locket! Where did you get it from?", suddenly asks one of our classmates. Thank God! She has just saved me from asking that question myself.

Kayla looks down at her locket and starts playing with it, "I don't really know. I've always had it."

Just like Nessie.

The only difference is that Nessie's locket has a photo of her parents inside, as well as a message in French. Bella had chosen to engrave "more than my own life" inside of the locket as if she had wanted to answer how much she loved her daughter.

 Bella had chosen to engrave "more than my own life" inside of the locket as if she had wanted to answer how much she loved her daughter

I wonder what's inside Kayla's locket.