𝟏𝟎. 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

Jacob Black

Phew! What a long day!

I sigh as I let my body sink in my giant bed.

It feels weird bringing Kayla to the Cullen house and introducing her to her possible biological family. The possibility of her being Renesmee is so large right now that I feel like the DNA tests Edward has been doing for the past hour are unnecessary. The proof is right in front of us.

The locket, the photo inside of it. Kayla thinks that someone has bought her Bella's old jewellery. If only she knew that it was a gift before the bloody confrontation with the Volturi. Irina, that bastard, she destroyed everything, including Renesmee's life!

Just as I have closed my eyes to take a quick nap, the smell of food wakes me up. I recognize Esme's signature waffles with chocolate and whipped cream. Mmm! She always knows how to make me feel better.

And in the dining room, waffles have been served for me. I wonder what's the occasion.

As I cut the first piece of the waffle, Edward comes into the dining room with the rest of the family, holding papers.

"Thank God you brought Kayla today. If it wasn't for the hair I found in the living room, I wouldn't have performed the test," he says, squeezing the papers.

This is the moment of truth. These tests are about to reveal what I've been thinking over the whole time.

I put away my food. The waffles can wait.

When Edward announces the result, I am not surprised. Everything adds up. It all matches all of my suspicions, all of my observations throughout the past month.

"The pull," I murmur, "No wonder I felt it on the first day of school."

It makes so much sense! Kayla Armstrong is indeed Renesmee Cullen.

I have spent so long blaming myself for losing her. Only for her to be found again after all of these years.

Huh, maybe I should go to the synagogue more often.

"How do we tell her?", asks Rosalie. If she could cry, her eyes would have been glossy by now.

I have to tell her. I don't think Kayla will believe anybody but me.

On the next day, Kayla is yet again at the Cullen house. This time it's gonna be different. No more introductions and half-baked questions. Time for her to find out where she comes from.

Alas, when we tell her, her reaction is not what Bella and Edward (especially Bella) expected:

"This can't be it!", Kayla cries desperately, "You can't be my parents, you can't have had me at 11 or 12, this is just gross!"

She doesn't understand that she is not human and she hasn't been ageing normally for the first few months of her life.

"No, Kayla, you don't understand!", Bella tries to defend herself, but I can see Kayla doesn't want to listen. She is struggling to grasp the simple facts. And I can't blame her for that. She has been practically raised by another family.

Just as we are about to give up, Bella pulls out a photo from her pocket and shows it to Kayla. I recognize the photo immediately. At the back of it is written the date. It's Bella's birthday. And the year is 2011. So that means Renesmee is seven years old nowadays.

Kayla is probably doing the math in her head. She is probably thinking about how it doesn't add up.

"So I am little Renesmee," she finally realizes, as her face loses its colour.

And I let out a breath I've been holding for far too long.