𝟏𝟐. 𝐅𝐞𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬

Jacob Black

About an hour later, Kayla and I are sitting on the back porch, contemplating her existence. She is having an identity crisis at seven–oops–seventeen. That's not normal. Then again, her whole existence, the story, the life she used to have before she got lost... none of that is normal either.

She has calmed down. I am taken aback by her reaction. I suspected she would scream, cry, shatter things, unleash secret powers... none of that.

Since today is a day full of confessions, it feels appropriate to make another one. Or will that be too much?

"Are you with me?", I ask hopefully.

She laughs. Her laugh reminds me of tiny bells, "Yeah, with who else do you think I would be?"

With that. I lean in and press my lips on her. I cup her face with my palms and her arm finds its way to my back. The kiss feels so much different than what I've imagined my first kiss with my imprint would be. I've always believed we would be allowed to date on her seventh birthday, when I would ask for her hand in marriage and share our very first kiss under the moonlight, celebrating her immortality.

 I've always believed we would be allowed to date on her seventh birthday, when I would ask for her hand in marriage and share our very first kiss under the moonlight, celebrating her immortality

At the same time, I wouldn't trade this kiss for anything in the world. I wish this was my first kiss ever. I wish I hadn't kissed Bella years ago. I regret this so deeply.

"Feels weird," Kayla says when we break apart from each other.

I look at her askew, "What?"

She looks down at her shoes and tucks some hair behind her ear before looking back at me, "Apparently I am actually seven years old and you've imprinted on me. At the same time it feels just right, you know what I mean?", she chuckles.

I nod, perfectly understanding her. After all, it's not easy to be supernatural. And that's a hard lesson that she will have to learn. But I know she can. I have all of the faith in her that she doesn't have in herself.