𝟖. 𝐈𝐬 𝐈𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐂𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞?

Jacob Black

The next day, on Monday, I am not at school. The Cullens allowed me to be absent for a couple of days until we all figure everything out.

So I decide to go to La Push and mourn my lost loved ones.

I can't believe that I am an orphan. I had just turned nine when I lost my mother. And then Leah... and Seth. Especially Seth! He was so young. He wasn't even fifteen yet. Such a tragic death.

The first thing I do, besides visiting Charlie and Sue in Forks, is to lay flowers on my loved ones' graves. I wonder what would have said Seth if he was here. He would have wanted to meet Kayla, for sure.

Like my dad would.

And then it hits me.

Maybe I should talk to him. After all, father knows best, doesn't he? Or was it grandma?

Damn...

I wish I had my car at this moment. I am forced to take the long route to avoid walking directly into the mud. That wouldn't have happened if I had my boots on, Alice!

It's not like I don't like the mud. I used to play with it when I was younger. Despite what Bella says, I clearly remember making mud pies with her.

And I love it when the autumn leaves rustle under my feet. And the tea my mother used to serve in the coldest days.

Blissful days!

I finally reach the house where I was born (literally) and raised. But before I can even ring the bell, the door opens and my dad opens his arms for a hug.

"Dad!", I hug him back. I feel like he would have cried if he could. He barely gets to see me. It must be awfully lonely. Rachel and Paul are always at work and school and Dad has nobody to take care of him.

Maybe I shouldn't have left La Push.

"Look who's here, Jake! It's your aunt Jennie!", my dad exclaims when we walk inside.

Auntie Jennie! I love her with my whole heart. She has to be the best aunt a man can have. Can't say the same for my aunt Connie, however.

I brush past my father and run to hug my beloved auntie. How much I've missed her! She comes to see me once in a blue moon. Literally.

Why do I love my auntie so much? She was there for us when my mom died.

"Oh, Jakey! You've grown up so much!", she lets go of the hug and inspects me, "You are a man now!"

I feel a blush rising to my cheeks. Very rarely people tell me I look all grown-up. At my age, I should be fresh out of University, job-hunting and planning a future wedding. Instead, I am pining after a teenage girl who may or may not be my lost imprint.

"How are you, son?", Dad asks me. I can't hold it anymore, as I burst into tears in front of him. I don't think he has ever seen me cry if we exclude when we were mourning the loss of my mom.

Auntie Jennie rubs my back while I pour my heart out. I tell them everything. My auntie Jennie knows about the legends being true (and thank god!), so I feel liberated to speak about what's actually going on in my mind.

My father slowly nods his head, "You have to find out if it's her," and auntie Jennie silently agrees with him.

Guess I'll have to back go to Maple Hills sooner than I expected.

I sigh. There go a few days I was planning to spend at the Reservation.