𝟕. 𝐀𝐧𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐬

QUICK AUTHOR'S NOTE

PHOTO CREDIT FOR THE OUTFIT GOES TO FIRECRYSTALSIMS.WEEBLY.COM!

Kayla Armstrong

On the next day, I am the first one at the library. I suppose that's where I can find answers to my questions.

The librarian, a young man probably fresh out of college, shows me the computer hall and reminds me that I only have an hour of Internet available.

"If you want more, you'll have to make a card for the library," he adds with a sweet smile.

I fake a smile and thank him. I don't need a card for the library. I just want to focus. At home, it's too noisy for me to work. If I can't find anything while being here, I don't know where them.

Google already told me that the engraving on the locket means "more than my own life". And there is the woman and the man. Besides the man having given the locket to his wife and her losing it somewhere and then someone finding it and selling it in an antique shop, I don't see any other explanation why this locket isn't in her hands.

Then again I don't remember obtaining the locket either.

All I remember is waking up at a hospital, not being able to be identified and then being adopted. Even my mothers don't have any idea about the locket. They just think it's something from my previous families.

I sigh and search for lockets for the rest of the hour. I find many that are similar to mine, but nowhere near my location. The locket that looks the most like mine is being sold at Seattle. I can't go there. It's too far away. I don't know if my family would agree to take me there.

The whole weekend I spend it isolated from my family, curled in my bed with my laptop, trying to think of a solution. My brother and my sister try to take me out and have fun with everyone, but I'm not in the mood.

"Come on, Kayla, please! Pretty please? With a cherry on top?", my little sister is making puppy dog eyes at me. I shake my head slowly, visibly disappointing her. It's like I've choked her favorite princess.

"I'm sorry," I mouth but it's too late. She is already crying and running downstairs. Let's hope she doesn't fall and hurt herself.

I sigh and shut down my laptop. She is right. I need to get out of the house and do something. I shove on my favorite sweater over a pair of shorts and rush out of my house. I hear one of my mothers yelling after me, but I brush past her. Nothing matters more than my past now.

My feet don't stop until I reach the coffee shop where I meet up with Jacob every Friday

My feet don't stop until I reach the coffee shop where I meet up with Jacob every Friday. Just as I reach for my phone in my pocket, I can't find it.

"Crap," I mutter. In the rush, I have forgotten it. Silly me!

What am I even doing here? I should go back home and apologize because my family deserves it. I've been nothing but horrible to them.

Instead, the door opens and the tiny bell rings. And who do my eyes see? Are my eyes deceiving me or is that Jacob? What is he doing here on a Sunday afternoon? We usually come here on Friday.

"Kayla?", he raises his eyebrow, approaching me, "What are you doing here?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing... though," I run my fingers through my too greasy hair, "I-I wanted to see you."

Jacob's eyes widen as if they're pancakes, "Oh?"

"Yeah," I nod, awkwardly shifting the weight of my body from one leg to another, at first refusing to make eye contact.

But when I raise my head, I remember... Jacob is my friend. Friends help each other. He can help me find out the truth.

So we sit down at our table, where I show him the locket, I tell him all I know and for my surprise, he agrees to help.

"I would do anything for you," he smiles at me.

Our fingers are touching. And I love that.