Taken In

BANG!

I huffed out one last breath of adrenaline. "That's all of them." What the heck do you mean, all of them? A few of them obviously escaped through the back door. "We'll call in the cleaning squad to... well, clean this mess up." I sighed as I shoved my revolver back into the strap, tonight has been... quite eventful.

"You may rest now Joell, maybe a drink or two at the bar?" I held my hand up, signalling a moment to catch my breath. "I'm too young, don't you think? And we've basically just went through hell and back, killed a few dozen people or more, and now all you want is a damn drink?" My partner chuckled as he reloads his magnum. "Now who's going around cursing at people calling himself drunk?"

"Just, shut up." I held out my phone to check the time, 10:30P.M. Well... that's two hours I'll never get back in my life. "I'll have to get back home anyways, my wife's gonna be piping mad at me for being late to our anniversary." Wow, time really pasts fast. "Oh... congratulations, I guess?" He gave me a sympathetic look. Not now, Brian. "Haven't you gotten yourself a girl to love yet?"

"Brian! I thought I told you not to talk about this! Being a detective means risking your life, and do you want your wife to be alone in the world? Mourning for you when you finally kick the bucket?!" He just pats my back and walks out the blood-stanched room. "You'll find it one day, you're still young you know? There's plenty of fish in the sea." To die from that is....

I was actually frustrated. Frustrated that I never had a crush in my life. Nothing seemed special to me in this world, and so I just went with the flow. I hoped for something to happen, something that would fill in some colour in my world. Not like those black-white comic strips that detectives are usually associated with.

I sighed again and walked out the squatter house, one that took me months to find. I thought solving something out would be cool and satisfying, but that thought quickly ran from my head the moment I had my first bullet wound.

It stung. It stung like hell. I never wanted to die. I never asked for this life. I never asked for murdered parents. I never asked for a sadistic partner. All I wanted to have was a happy life, with a wife and some kids, nothing more... RIIINGG!

I clicked my tongue in frustration as I picked up the phone and slammed the answer button, but gave up my anger half-way because of the lack of strength. "Detective Joell speaking, who's this?" A stern voice answered my question. "Who's this? This is your friendly neighbourhood boss speaking here that's who."

"o-Oh yes sir!" A audible snort was heard on the other line of the phone. "Listen, I need you back here right now. This is top priority... and a order. Get your ass here as fast as you can carry it because lives depend on it, and god speed." Click.

Lives? Not life? Singular? Oh well, if there was something that serious for my boss to call me himself... I guess it's kinda serious? I then picked up pace and started running towards the police station, because there was not a single taxi in sight in this tree-infested woodlands.

~~~

Was it always this quiet in the police department? Because I sure as heck never seen an empty office. I was still a little worn out but other than that it was still okay. I guess the adrenaline from before lasted a little longer than I thought It would. I walked right up to the interrogating room and knocked twice, because... stuff?

I turned the doorknob and swung the door open, to find a teenage girl all alone in the room with a note right beside her. "Uhm... hi there. Where is the person who told you to wait here?" I said in my most understanding voice. "

"Oh uh, he left this note for you and went... somewhere." I silently cursed at him and took the note, careful not to rip it to shreds. 

Dear Detective Joell,