Blooming Fire

"Hey Tish wake up, we're here!"

Rubbing my eyes for a second, I grin a little as the little tiny inside my pocket stretches as she wakes. "Had a good nap hadn't ya.." She smiles as she reaches out with her hands, gesturing a signal that she's ready to be pulled out.

"So... are you nervous?" She shakes her head, but her heart tells me otherwise. Clutching to my hands, she kisses the tip of a finger as she takes in a moment to breathe. "It's okay Tish, they are good people! They aren't like... the others. What say I bet a hundred dollars that you'll be buried with food?"

That takes her back a little as she stares at me in the eyes. "Well... I don't mean it in a literal sense; food is a way of showing affection in my family, that they care about someone." She facepalms and punches my palm, seemingly a little unnerved by my words. "You can relax when you're around them, and you had better believe that I told each and everyone of them about your arrival."

Her eyes go misty, and it was understandable. She and I met had met under very... traumatizing circumstances, but that was in the past and she had grown from a timid, shy tiny to a beautiful, out-spoken love of my life. We had talked the day before about this and she was brave enough to face her fears of meeting another giant... well, several giants.

"Are you sure you still want to go with this? Please, don't force yourself if you don't want to." Upon hearing those words, her posture steeled as she looked at me. "Why wouldn't I trust you? After all, a hundred dollars is a big amount to lose; don't you look down on me." A playful grin appears as I chuckled softly. "Well, we'll see about that."

Getting out of the car, I see the 1 storey house shining with lanterns and lights bright enough to light up the sky. Sitting at a table, my 4 elderly uncles play away at a game of Majong. A child runs past me, closely followed by a few other nephews or nieces of mine. Chatting loudly in the house, the grandaunts, granduncles, and aunt slay away at time, seemingly passing as fast as light across the night sky. The whole scene captivates Tish, her eyes had never seen something so... foreign. "Well, get ready for that hundred dollars you're expecting." Tish, with the strong-headed expression of hers, takes in a deep breath before diving in into the current.

While approaching the house, the first to greet me was well.... just about everyone. Some commented about my stature, being so tall and all. Some laughed at my face and slipped a sly fat comment in. But lastly, my parents dash out of the house, running at me to give me a hug. My eyes widened at the realisation that Tish could get crushed and held out a hand and shouted at a worrisome extent, stopping them in their tracks before realising the tiny girl I held at my chest.

Their milky eyes blinked twice before confirming the existence of Tish... it was true, I haven't seen them for years. "Mom, Dad... I'm home." Their eyes widen when she notices the ring that rested firmly in my hand. " I was... afraid to tell you sooner about this. I'm so sorry, I didn't know how you'd react..." Their eyes shined a light of disappointment, but was soon later replaced by rays of pride. "Then I guess you don't need this after all." My mom harrumphed as she tucked a red packet back into her pocket.

Laughing heartily, I extended my hand hugging them one by one before they greeted Tish in their languages. Of course, she wouldn't understand what they were saying; but her looks told a different story. Curious children swarmed towards her, reaching out and asking trivial questions about her before their parents scolded them. Such a scene brought back many... many buried memories, most of which I had forgotten a long time ago.

Welcoming me into the household, I looked around, taking in the many pieces of childhood I left behind. Tish was bewildered to say the least, for she had never seen something so old, yet so cosy... something that felt so at home. Taking a seat at the tiny dining table for 4, Tish climbed off carefully before a mini-sized plate was presented before her; with portions enough for a girl like her.

And as I expected, her small little plate was soon filled with miniature versions of the many traditional dishes that was made out of my moms' endless disposal. Laughing at her, she pouted at me before digging in; wolfing down the food it seems. Taking up the wooden chopsticks, I thanked my mom for the meal before gulping down the bowl of food. 

Surprisingly, Tish had finished hers before mine. She soon asked for seconds, which was gracefully accepted when my mother dumped another mountain-sized ration of rice on her plate. Her eyes sparkled in anticipation, taking in the many colours before eating a portion never before in her life.

While catching up with my parents, Tish soon joined my side hugging the side of my arm like a shy little girl hiding from the sight of a stranger she doesn't recognize and I won't blame her for that too, I was much like her when I was a young child... even though she was an full-grown adult.

My mom then turned her attention to Tish, and I was sure she had a lot of questions for her but she held herself back... perhaps sensing that she needed some time to get used to all 'this'. It also wasn't long before a deafening BOOM could be heard right outside the gates of the house.

Her eyes snapping to the point of explosion, she cowered behind my hands before I clamed her down. "It's just some fireworks, would you like to some them?" Hesitating for a moment, she soon accepted the offer. Lifting her up carefully onto my hands, I slowly walked over to the blooming bouquets of fire in the sky. Flinching from the noise of impact, she immediately covered her ears to drown out the sound of exploding fireworks; her eyes glued onto the magnificent display a lit up night-sky.

Whereas it felt like a few minutes, the night was no longer young as it was time to sleep. Tish whined about this of course, she had wanted to see more 'blooming fires' in the sky. It didn't take her long to realise the amount of money actually needed to buy an excessive amount of fireworks after a well needed explanation though.

Having her sit down at a small coffee table, I helped out with pulling out the many mattresses that had been used for generations. The look on Tishs' face was priceless. Her face clearly gave away her thoughts, 'how are we going to sleep in this small crowded space?'. Purposefully leaving her own thoughts to answer for her, I picked her up before choosing a polka-dotted pink mattress to sleep on the floor tonight.

"It's been like this since day one Tish, just about every year, me and my family- as much as we can fit in this space anyways- sleep in this house."

"But how can you stand it???" Her questions resonated out loud and true throughout the hollow walls. "Well, it's more like 'I had no choice' to begin with... like the choices you had before you gave you first kisses to me." Standing there aimlessly, it took her a few seconds to catch the words I had said before laughing at it. "You're hopeless Tish..."

Laying down on the ancient mattress, Tish walked up to my eyes before sitting down leg-crossed. "This... had been so much more easier than I thought it would be. I thought that your family won't accept me... and all that." Tugging a smile at my lips, I pulled her closer for a kiss to which she denied as she pushed against my hands. Confused, I stared at her before she smiled. "Just consider this a payment for that hundred dollars I owe you." And then she leaned in to kiss, at which I gracefully accepted.

"Get some sleep Tish, we're leaving next thing in the morning, I have to get back to the city before the traffic starts setting in."

"Wait... what? We literally just got here!" Deeply touched by her words, I shook my head before opening my mouth to speak. "I know it seems short... but I have work to do, and you know my boss ain't one to just lay around while one of his staff misses a day at work." Her expression saddened a little before a understanding smile appeared. "Well, then... should we?"

Her arms reached out for a hand, and as I lowered my hand down for her to climb up onto; she jumped at my face before giving me a slight kiss. "I changed my mind, the air smells sweeter here." Chuckling at her compliment, I closed my eyes while cupping my hand over her body. "See you tomorrow, sweet heart."

... holy crap this was terrible. As such, this was a very inaccurate recount of what actually happened while I visited a historic place of mine. I have to admit it though, I couldn't think of any words convenient enough to link up the events. Well... next chapter might come out this week... or the next I don't know. Anyways, I'll see you peps next time... (realise that most of my stories end with my OCs sleeping)