AU-Torn-Part 1

A/n Guys...I have no idea where that first paragraph came from but it's gone now, lol

The bell finally rung and you quickly gathered your stuff from biology, not wanting to spend another minute in that horrid class. You slowly made your way out the door and into the school hallway, following behind the massive crowd of hungry, constantly hungry, students. You were really hungry yourself.

Once in the hallway you looked for your best friend, Melissa. Usually she meets you after every class, unless...You sigh, pressing your lips together into a thin line. You walk to your locker, open it, and shove your head in, so nobody could see your emotions slip through your eyes.

Melissa usually did meet you unless she was with Newt. A tear slips out. You have had a major crush on Newt ever since you could remember, but when you finally built up enough courage to tell him, Melissa announced that she had asked him out on a date.

Your heart broke and you didn't say another word about it. Melissa was so happy with him and apparently Newt was too. Newt was still your friend, but it wasn't the same. Since then, you've tried to avoid him because it hurt too much.

You wipe away the tear, scolding yourself for being so stupid and lovesick. You can't change the past so you have to get used to the present. 

You hear the locker door next to yours swing open, knowing that it was Melissa, you grab your math book, shut your locker, and turn to her, smiling. You hoped that she wouldn't be able to see your pain through the cracks and fractures in your smile and eyes.

"Hey, you ready to get your math on?" You say faking the enthusiasm. You both hate math, with a deep deep passion. She turns to you and you immediately recognize that she has been crying, mostly because her mascara is running down her face.

"N-Newt broke u-up with me!" She wails. You're stunned, you knew Melissa was happier than she has ever been before, but you just assumed that Newt was too. An evil part inside of you was happy, and you were disgusted with that part.

But seeing your friend in pain, you pushed that side of you down and tightly embraced her. She sobbed into your shoulder and you knew that there was going to be a stain, but you didn't care in the moment. She clung to you.

"Melissa, I-I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry." You did feel bad for her and you wished that she wasn't in pain. "When did this happen."

She sniffs, pulling away a bit, "Just now, after class. Y/n, h-he just.." She starts sobbing again and you help her up and into the girl's bathroom, to clean up. You open your backpack and grab a makeup remover wipe, then start dabbing away the mascara marks. She cries some more but it starts to die down a bit.

You talk her through it, hoping to make her feel better, while cleaning her up. You were going to be so late for class. Once she was done crying and mostly cleaned up you said your goodbyes. Promising to get together after school to help her through it more. 

You left the bathroom shaking your head and letting out a breath of air, What am I going to do?

...

The hours go by, slowly and painfully, and in all that time your mind still didn't resolve the tornado of thoughts destroying anything school related that popped into your mind. Not that you cared that much. Finally, the last bell rang and you hurried out, quickly grabbing your backpack and scurrying out to the parking lot.

Melissa has already driven herself home, not being able to suffer through school and taking today as a sick day. You were determined to see her through this. She was your best friend. You take you keys out of your pocket and unlock your car door. 

You open it, about to step in when you hear someone calling your name. You should've recognized his voice when the thick British accent reached your ears, but you didn't. You should've got in the car, slammed the door, and drive away, but you didn't.

Instead you stopped, saw him coming towards you, and waited, your emotions getting the better of you. You were torn between pretending that nothing was wrong and yelling at him for hurting your friend. You chose both.

"Hey, Y/n, can I talk to you?" He looked pleadingly at you, adorable as ever, but you stared back at him with no emotion.

"I guess, what about?" You cross your arms shifting your weight onto one leg.

"I wanted to tell you why I broke up with Melissa." He put a slight emphasis on why.

You exhale sharply through your mouth, looking up and slightly shaking your head, wondering why yourself. "Yeah, why did you? I thought you liked her! Newt, you broke her heart!"

You raised your voice at the end, going from curiously disappointed to angry. You threw your hands up in exasperation, "I just don't understand why-"

"Because I love you!" Newt yelled, not angrily, but trying to get you to stop pestering him about it. You froze, literally froze. Hands in the air, breath held in your lungs, eyes glued to him.

"W-what?"

He sighed, grabbing your hands and rubbing his thumb over your knuckles. "Y/n, I wanted to tell you before, but I thought you didn't like me that way. Then Melissa asked me out and I thought it would be a good way to get you off my mind. But, Y/n, it only made me realize how much you mean to me."

Your heart skips faster and your breath hitches in your throat, "Y/n, I love you."

Trembling, you looked him in his brown eyes, the feeling of his hand in yours felt so right. You started to think the words wouldn't come at all, but they did. "I-I love you too." 

He smiled brightly, opening his mouth to say something, but you quickly cut him off. "But I can't be with you."

Sadness loomed over his face and his brows scrunched up, questioning. "I can't do that to Melissa. She's my friend and she needs me right now..I-I just...can't." 

Tears slipped through your eyes, for the second time that day. You slowly pulled your hands away from Newt's and you quickly spun on your heel, into the car, and drove away. You couldn't stand to look at his face, his beautifully gorgeous face, and watch as his heart break like a promise.

You drove away, crying the whole time. But once you made it to Melissa's you brushed away your tears, trying to stay strong, and went in to do the same to her's. You liked to think of yourself as a good friend, but what you just did to Newt, felt wrong in every way possible.

A/n Don't worry!! I will have another part up and ready soon, I promise!! I won't leave it here!