Slipped

*Trigger Warning!* I'm sorry, but I had to do one like this, it wouldn't be the same if I didn't have some sad ones.

Third Person View-

Newt started the day out like any other. Waking up early to get ready for a full day of running, except this time, he didn't plan on coming back. Lately, Newt's been slowly growing apart from his friends and instead got trapped in his toxic mind. He couldn't stand it anymore, so he decided to fix it. He quickly ran towards the doors, waiting for them to open.

"Hey, Newt!" Minho happily greeted him. "Haven't seen you in a while it seems like."

Newt froze, not knowing what to do. The last thing he needed right now was this. He quickly turned and gave Minho a smile, hoping he didn't see through the mask. He turned back to face the doors when she approached.

"Hey Minho, ready to get our run-on today?" Y/n came from behind him and stood in between the two boys. "Hey Newt!" She lit up when she saw him, lately he's been acting weird and she hoped it wasn't because of her.

Newt broke inside, she and his friend's were the only reason he was still alive, but mostly her. He gave her a small nod and a smile, his mask breaking even more. Y/n's heart dropped, maybe he didn't like her as much as she thought.

Suddenly the start opening, shaking the ground around them. They completely opened with a big boom. Y/n turned to Newt one last time. 

"See ya Newt, be careful out there!"

Minho chuckled as he took a step into the Maze. He knew all about the girl's crush on the guy when he caught her staring at him. He thought that it was funny how hard she tried. "Yeah, and don't die while you're at it."

Newt's blood froze and he stopped in his tracks, thinking that somehow, Minho knew. But he soon realized that he was just joking. "Great, I'm bloody inspired."

Y/n laughed, a little too hard. Next to her, as they started their long day in the Maze, Minho murmured, "Slim it down, shank, it wasn't that funny."

Newt jogged a little ways in, making sure that his two best friends went down sections four and five. He watched them split up and enter the two different units, disappearing into the long corridors.

Newt stopped outside of section 2. Goodbye.

...

Newt finally made it to the areas with the strongest vines. He stood at the base of the wall, a sturdy vine in hand. Did he really want to do this?

A sickly sweet voice in the back of his head urged him on. He tugged on the vine, making sure it would hold his weight. There's no escape, not for you.

For some reason Newt started thinking about Y/n. He didn't know why, but he let it happen anyways. He remembered the day that she accidently pushed him into the small pond deep in the Deadheads. She was so conflicted about it, profusely apologizing. He kept telling the apologetic girl it was alright. However, when she got close enough he pulled her down into the water with him, where they laughed and splashed each other for hours.

Determined, Newt continued up, his legs arms on the verge of burning. You're not worth it.

More memories from the Glade filled his mind. One particular day he was feeling especially down. He sat alone on a log, sipping at Gally's special drink, glaring at anybody near by him. Even though she knew he wasn't in a good mood, Y/n came and sat by him. At first he just wanted her to leave, but soon he realized just how much he needed someone to talk to. Especially her. They sat talked for hours, eventually falling asleep together in the middle of the Glade. He didn't feel depressed for over a week after that, but then he shut her out again.

Newt made it a quarter of the way up already, but it still wasn't good enough. It's all your fault.

Newt had pushed his friends away for a while. While some gave him space thinking that he just needed some time, Y/n saw right through his act. She constantly came to talk to him and expressed in any way she could that she cared for him and that all she wanted to do was help him. At first he was grateful that at least one of his friends cared enough to try to help him. But soon it became frustrating and he pushed her away.

Newt was slowly getting weaker and weaker, and his vision was blurred by tears forming in his eyes. She'd be better off without you.

This was a direct lie. A little short of a month after Y/n came up in the box, he caught her having a panic attack in the Med-huts. She was hyperventilating and sobbing, huddled in the corner of the room. After finding her, Newt slowly eased her back into a calm state by gently talking with her and rubbing her back. She was confused and scared about why she couldn't remember anything and why someone would do this to so many people. He remembered her expressing how sad it was that there were people she knew, people she loved, and she couldn't even remember any of them. 

His heart broke for the girl then and it broke for her now, knowing that she never would really get over that. He was mad, at WICKED and at himself. By now he was half-way up. High enough to kill a man if he hit the ground right. He noticed a beetle blade next to him in the ivy, it's eyes, baring into him.

"I don't who you people are, but I hope you're happy. I hope you get a real buggin' kick out of watching us suffer, out of watching her suffer."

He stopped, wanting to say more, but at the same time not. I closed his head and let out a frustrating groan. He couldn't do this to her. He couldn't leave her here all alone. Tears slipped from his eyes as he looked at the ground beneath him.

He made a quick decision and started climbing down the vines. He was drenched in sweat and suddenly his hand slipped.

...

Y/n was on her way back to the Glade, finishing her part early, not finding anything new in section four. She made her way into the center of the split-off-segment where sections two, three, and four divided when she heard it. A deep painful cry, coming from section two. Chills went down her spine when she remembered that Newt was in section two.

Despite running the entire Glade she raced down the corridors in search for Newt at a pace that surprised her. Everything hurt, her legs, her chest, her heart. What happened to him?

When she finally found him, he was rocking back and forth on the ground, gripping his left leg tightly to his chest. "I hate you!" He screamed up towards a wall covered in vines, "I hate you!"

Y/n rushed over to him, kneeling down to take a look at his leg. It horribly mangled and blood oozed out of it and pooled around her knees. She quickly pulled Newt into her, rubbing patterns onto his back and whispering in his ear like he did to her when she first came into the Glade. 

"Hey, hey, it's okay, I'm here, I got you." She let him cry into her shoulder. She had a hunch what happened, maybe not the full story, but a suspicion. After all, she knew Newt well enough. She didn't ask him any questions just assured him that she was there. They sat like that for a long time before Newt spoke up.

"I-I'm sorry, I couldn't do it. I can't leave you." A new wave of tears flowed from his broken brown eyes.

"Hey, no it's okay. You're okay, I got you." Y/n brought him back into her.

At that moment each teenager made a silent promise. One, to protect each other. Two, to never leave each other.