Hakuna Matata

"Will you really go on a holiday vacation with me?" Tiffany asked Chris for the nth time. They were both sprawled along the living room floor, their back resting on the sofa.

"That's the 1999th time you've asked me. And for the 1999th time the answer is Y-E-S!" Chris browsed through his phone. He and Tiffany have been looking for a European town they could go to.

Right after Tiffany agreed to go on a trip, Lisa declined as it was the holidays. But she was quick to volunteer her own son, doesn't matter if they would spend the first Christmas without him. Mrs. Evans was willing to sacrifice one yuletide sans her son for a lifetime of Christmases with the two. What was even more flooring was Chris's immediate agreement given that he would always want to spend the occasion with his family.

"Are you sure? It might be hard for you to keep a low-profile." Tiffany asked again.

Chris rolled his eyes. "That's why we're looking for a low-key small town, remember?"

"And how about our flight there?" She was also busy researching for the perfect private European municipality. "I think we should fly separately and see..."

"SSSHHHHHH," Chris hushed her. "I told you I'll take care of it. You don't have to worry. The last thing I want is both of us having to look over our shoulders all the time. That will not be an enjoyable vacation."

At last there was silence. The two friends both flipping through their phones as if the search was a matter of life and death. The stillness ensued until "Et voila!" Tiffany's brown eyes widened and sparkled as she waved her phone in front of Chris's face.

He gingerly took her phone and moved his index finger across the screen to browse the images of the place she had found. "It looks-"

"Straight out of a Disney film," her voice saccharine, eyes still sparkling like the North Star.

Chris couldn't keep a grin from cropping up. He was in the mood to tease her a bit. "I dunno, Foster-"

Tiffany objected with an indistinct mumbling and pouted her lips, like a child who's not getting what she wanted. "C'mon Chris," she pleaded.

"You're sold with this?"

Her back left the comforts of the sofa as she faced him. "You don't like it?" She was disappointed, her eyes turning into a ball of gloom.

How could this woman still look beautiful in PJs acting like a 4-year old disappointed girl? Although he wanted to continue with the teasing, he just can't make himself to. Tiffany was too adorable to mess around with. "I kid, Foster. I love it, " he finally said with a loud laugh.

Tiffany pushed his chest. "Ugh, Evans I swear. You're so annoying!"

"I just said I love it." He was still laughing. SMACK! Her lips warmed his cheek. He stiffened from where he was sitting. "What was that for," he said in bewilderment.

"Thank you." She rose to her feet, took Dodger's front paws and danced with him across the room. "You take care of the transportation. I'll take care of the accommodation and food."

"But-"

"No buts. I have more than enough for accommodation. I didn't know mom was giving all that for the get-you-back-up-on-your-feet project."

"All right then. I'll call people to book us a smooth flight." With that, Chris left the room, leaving Tiffany with Dodger, both too pleased to stop dancing.

*

The Evanses had invaded Tiffany's room, assisting, scratch that out, taking over her luggage packing for the trip. They were calling it OPERATION: FINDING HAKUNA MATATA.

She was leisurely sitting at the edge of her table as Carly, Shanna and Scott skim through her closet, closely scrutinizing every wardrobe she's got. They poked fun at her lack of, nay, zero possession of a lingerie. Tiffany wasn't least bit offended by their joke. Instead she jokingly clapped back at them. "I don't understand the science behind picking what clothes to bring?"

"Well," Scott remarked. "Who knows what cute guy you'll stumble upon there."

"There's no stumbling upon that's going to happen," she answered back. Tiffany folded the scarves they have picked.

Carly moved farther in the closet, Tiffany ignored the rustling, until... "What do we have here Tiff!!!" her tone filled with excitement. When the oldest Evans walked out, she was holding a teal jersey off-shoulder mermaid gown with a slit that would highlight all her curves.

Tiffany's eyes were popping out. "I HAVE NO IDEA! I've never seen that before."

Carly inspected the dress closely. From behind the gown, a piece of paper was pinned. In it this was written: JUST IN CASE. The phrase ends with a huge smiley. Tiffany held the note for quite some time. She couldn't wrap her head around why she wasn't as crazy as the woman who gave birth to her.

"You should seriously bring this!!!" Shanna squealed.

"So I could wear it around the kitchen while cooking some Christmas meal," Tiffany's giggles echoed through the four walls of her room.

"The rule is, pack at least one cocktail and formal wear when going on a long trip."

"Says who? And it's not even a long trip. Just two weeks." Tiffany resumed with packing other essentials.

"Chris will bring a suit for sure." Scott muttered.

"Why would he? He's the most I-love-casual person I know."

Before Tiffany knew it, Scott was already calling his brother, who was in Boston at the moment to pack, as well. He put him on loudspeaker.

"What's up?" the voice from the other end answered.

"Chris, you're bringing a suit?" Scott asked.

"Yeah. Just in case."

"Alright, brother. See you later." Scott ended the call. "You see," He was teasingly glaring at Tiffany. "Just in case."

*

On the night of their flight to Europe, Chris and Tiffany were staring at the luggage his siblings had packed for her. His left eyebrow arched as she bit the side of her lower lip. "Too much?" she asked.

"What have they cramped in there? You're entire wardrobe?"

She pouted her lips. "Prolly my entire universe." She started giggling. "Saying yes to their offer to help was a bad idea."

Chris laughed with her. "That's an understatement."

"Shall we eeny, meeny, miny, moe which bag to leave?" She pointed at one luggage after the other and the other.

"Nah. We can bring all."

"That means extra fee for the extra baggage," Tiffany noted.

"I remember telling you not to worry about our flight and all." He wrapped his arm over the length of her shoulders. Just then, they heard a thud on the door. Both gazed at the clock. "They're early."

Then a voice came from outside. Tiffany looked like ice cubes came down on her head in buckets. "Mike," she mouthed at Chris, who was an assassin ready to murder his target. She rested her palms on his chest. "Calm down. Stay here. I'll take care of it."

His hands turned into fists. "You sure?"

"Yes," her voice was determined. "Hakuna Matata."