We'll Find a Way

It was late afternoon when Tiffany came back to her home. She took Scott out for lunch. It's the least she could do after the younger Evans drove her to her former house. 

After lunch, Tiffany told Scott she would take a cab home. She had still one errand to do. To make him agree, she bought lunch for Chris, telling his brother that he might have not eaten yet. Naturally, Scott was apprehensive, but he eventually gave in to her request.

When Tiffany entered the house, Penny rushed to her, its tail wagging to no end. She carried her fluffy friend in her arms, rubbing its belly. While she was striding across the open space, she sensed the house was awfully quiet.

She peeped into the kitchen and on the far end of the room, on the breakfast nook, Chris was sitting staring outside the window, his back against where she was coming from. His phone, nestled on the light gray wooden table. He must've been too lost in thought if he hadn't sensed her presence at all.

As Tiffany reached where he was sitting, she leveled her head to his and hoisted her dog in front of him. "Penny for your thoughts?" her voice was sunny.

Chris was surprised but gained back his composure as soon as he lost it. He turned to stare at her. "That has got to be the corniest pun ever, Foster." His chuckle was labored.

She motioned him to move a little to the side so she could sit beside him. "Well... Good afternoon to you, too." She was cradling Penny on her lap. From her peripheral view she could see Chris staring at her.

His usual sparkling eyes were nonexistent. He reached for her ponytailed hair and fiddled it with his fingers. When she looked into his light blues, they indicated something of great weight within him.

Chris feigned optimism and she, for sure, didn't miss that. "So... how'd your conversation go?"

Although she was being taken aback by his mood, she answered in her usual tone. "Hmmmm... Liberating. I was very emotional, for sure. I mean the man I trusted and loved did that to me. But after. When I finally left him, I felt like I also left all the heavy burden with him."

Chris made a tender squeeze at the back of her neck. He, then, moved to brush his lips on Tiffany's forehead. "That's good to hear, sweet pea." He breathed in. "So, do we get to sue him now?"

She wanted to think that he was kidding, but judging by the tone of his voice, Tiffany was unsure. "Nah. I mean, not just yet. I still offered to pay his debt but in exchange, he gets off our backs and he should clear my name."

"He agreed?"

"Not yet. But I may have threatened him with a huge lawsuit if he didn't." She looked at him. Her gaze, apologetic. "I may have used your name when I did that. I'm sorry."

Chris held her close to him, as if to say what she did didn't matter. "As long as you get past this, I'm all for it. You think he'll bite?"

Tiffany was feeling rather positive so she nodded. But he was acting terribly weird that whatever transpired with his team, she couldn't just ignore.

She encased his jaw in her palms, her eyes bore to his peepers, going straight for his heart. "Bubba, what is bothering you?" Her voice turned somber.

Chris cleared his throat. With eyes still bleak, he replied. "My team got a call from Steven Spielberg. He wants me to star in a film his directing."

Tiffany's eyes widened, her heart beating with excitement. She knew how much this man in front of her had dreamed of something like this to happen. But her smiling hazels would become doleful when Chris didn't look thrilled. Without intending it, her lips formed into a sideways pout while she gazed back at him.