Something There

Tiffany opened her eyes to a warmer room. The electricity must have come back while they were sleeping.

She woke up facing Chris, his upper arm still wrapped around her. His touch made her even more feverish.

There, she was locked in his strong arm She didn't want to move for fear of waking him up. So, she amused herself with studying every inch of his face. From his taper fade hair to his long dark lashes draping his shut eyes. From his thick brows, he loved to arch, to the twin moles grazing both his cheeks.

She shouldn't even remotely be thinking about it, but in her heart and mind she thought she could wake up to this every single day.

"If I were a snowman and your eyes were the sun, I would have melted by now," Chris said with grinning lips.

Her surprise made her jerk backwards but he caught her movement. He shifted his lower arm from between her head pillows to her neck and tightened the embrace.

Tiffany's head was now resting in his neck. "Just a little while longer," he mumbled.

Her ears was so close to his heart, she could hear its steady beats. As a reaction, she, in turn, bound her arms around his broad back, savoring the moment.

For a while the time stood still for them and they indulged themselves in their own little world. Until... The doorbell rang.

They looked at each other with furrowed brows. "I'll get it." Chris motioned Tiffany not to get up. He walked towards the door, his entire torso in full view.

She was left on the bed suddenly contemplating their arrangement. She never thought of him beyond being a friend. NEVER. So, right now, it bothered her that she might be feeling something more. After all these years and with her current situation, it should not be.

But it feels good and right and real, she thought. The battle inside her mind which she held off last night was now resurfacing. She slapped her cheeks as her way of putting some sense into her mind. Why was she even thinking about these things? There's no guarantee anyway that Chris was into her, she told herself.

It was in this state that Chris saw her when he came back to the room. This time he was already looking decent with a shirt on. "Losing your mind, Foster?"

"I don't know." Her answer was truthful. She, in fact, didn't know whether she was losing her mind or not. "Who was that?"

Chris jumped to the bed chest down. "Greg... He gave us an invite to a formal gathering tonight." He waved a hand holding an elegant piece of envelope. "Have plans for tonight?"

"Where's the venue?"

"Bled Castle. The restaurant there. They reserved the entire place for the night."

"Our host is a multimillionaire, isn't he?" The question, rhetorical.

"If he could throw parties at a castle, then he must be."

"How about you? You're okay with being seen by the public?" Tiffany asked.

"Well," Chris paused. "Greg assured no other guests know who I am and the help he hired for tonight are most discreet."

"He's definitely a multimillionaire," she exclaimed.

"So, ready to dust off your party skills and bring out your 'just in case' dress?" He winked at her, smile plastered across his face.