Masters of Their Fate

The three people from Hollywood took a seat beside each other on the sofa. The Evans brothers and Tiffany excused themselves and gathered at the landing of the second floor of the house.

"I'm sorry, bro. They went to the house looking for you. Brandon said he has something important he needs to tell you." Scott's head was lowered, his eyes stared at the wooden floor. "Mom, actually called to warn you. Didn't you get it?"

Chris took the phone from his pocket. He turned it into silent mode after he talked with Brandon. Naturally, the phone screen had shown a couple of notifications of the calls he missed from his mom.

Scott brushed his beard. "What I don't understand though is why when they found out you weren't at home, Brandon knew exactly where to find you. I offered to take them here, but actually I didn't have to because he knew this house. I was supposed to stall them."

Tiffany sighed. Chris puffed air. "He was here the other day," the two said in unison. They stared at each other, the younger Evans moved his gaze back and forth at them.

"Scott, can you look after them? Tiff and I just need to fix something important," Chris stood from sitting at the topmost part of the stairs.

"You don't have to come with me. Talk with your team. I'll deal with him by myself," Tiffany asserted. He gave her the look he normally does whenever a decision doesn't sit well with him. All the while Scott was simply listening intently. "Chris, they came all the way here. The tactful thing to do is face them. Listen to what they have to say."

He sat back down beside her. Again he asked his brother for a favor. "Look after them. We'll be right down in a while... And drive Tiff to where she's about to go."

"Chris, he doesn't have to?" She protested.

"Nah... It's fine Tiff. I'll do it... See you guys in a while." Scott descended the stairs.

He wrapped his arms around the small of her back. She leaned to him. "So," he dillydallied before continuing. "What exactly did my manager talk to you for?"

Tiffany leaned in even closer. "Nothing I haven't thought about before."

Chris slouched down to let his eyes meet with hers. "What do you mean?"

Her staring back at him was straightforward. "I think he wants me to stay away from you. Honestly, I have been thinking about that since you have been dragged into my mess. So, what he wanted me to do isn't really news to me anymore."

He was afraid to ask the question lingering in his mind but he did, anyway. "And what did you tell him?"

"I told him I would do anything to protect the career you worked so hard to establish." She clung into his neck pulling him closer. "I promise I would let the rumors go away. Whatever it takes."

Chris wasn't sure why he felt a sudden hint of unease with what Tiffany had just said. He draped his arms around her back as he swept aside the fear brewing in his heart and mind.

*

Tiffany and Scott had been gone for a while now and Chris was sitting on the couch at the Fosters' living room. He had never lost his cool when it comes to his managing team ever before. But this might be a first.

The fingers on his right hand were tapping the edge of the couch's arm. His face looked as if all his blood had rushed there. He understood that his manager was worried about his recent choices but he trusted he wouldn't interfere with anything.