Give Her Sanctuary

Just as Tiffany thought her life was headed to a better place, a new chaos ensued. Someone had opened Pandora's Box and she and Chris were its main target. Scott informed her about what was going on. It was like her worst fears had surfaced from her nightmare to her reality.

From the gossip website, she was watching the segment talking about his affair with a neighbor-friend. Although neither of their names were dropped, the clue as to who the actor is was so obvious even someone who isn't into entertainment would know it was pertaining to Chris.

"Has he given his statement?" was all Tiffany could ask Scott. Carly was sitting beside her, on her parents' bed, brushing her hand in hopes that she would calm down.

"Not yet. He called some time ago and asked us to check on you." Scott kept looking out the window. From where he is, he could see more and more people gathered along the streets of their neighborhood.

Tiffany lied down on the mattress, staring at the ceiling. And so it had come to this, she thought. Mike's threats were not empty after all. She was a hundred percent certain he had something to do with this chaos. She shut her eyes, laboring to steady the beating of her heart.

She jerked when the ringing of her phone echoed through the room. Seeing the name of the caller, she stood up and excused herself. She dashed to her room, gaping at her Iphone's screen. In that moment, she longed to speak to Chris but feared hearing his voice, at the same time. But if she wanted to get through this, she knew she had to weather it with him.

Tiffany pressed the green icon, placed the phone near her ear, yet no sound escaped her lips.

The voice on the other end was both firm and tender. "Tiff... If you're thinking of apologizing, don't." Chris could read her like an open book even if they were miles apart and he couldn't actually see her.

"But.."

"No buts... I've made my bed."

She swallowed before speaking. "Do you have an idea where the claim came from?"

"Not sure just yet. If it were from Bled, there should have been pictures along with the claim." Chris could hear Tiffany's staggered breaths. Just as he assumed, she may know where the leak was from. But that wasn't why he called. "I'll be out for another round of interviews in a few hours."

The pause was long. Both mulling over the weight of their unwelcome situation. The steps that may need to be done to make it all go away. From the corner of the room, Penny shifted towards the foot of her human, perhaps sensing Tiffany's growing apprehensions. She hushed the thought of retreating as soon as it popped her head.

Chris was right. They've made their bed and so they must lie in it. Besides, she cared too much for him. "I would understand if you have to..."

"The only reason why I would deny us is to protect you. Not for my career but for our sanctuary. I am as serious now as I was then when I said I would do everything to keep you from the public eye," Chris breathed out as if a sharp object had been pulled off his throat. He had not spoken any truer words than what he just said.

From his unwavering voice, Tiffany knew and felt his sincerity that any apprehension she may have been feeling was washed off her system all at once. "We'll get through this." Her longing to wrap her arms around him and be wrapped in his amplified.

As though he sensed her yearning, his heart skipped, beating the same pining. "I'll come home to you as soon as I get the chance." Again no truer words were spoken.

"That might prove challenging given the sudden promotion of Sudbury as a tourist spot." She meant the sudden rise of bystanders in their neighborhood.

"Speaking of that, I had to tell Scott where the backdoor key to your house is... They're there to pick you up." A pause. "I think it would be safer if you stayed at our home, for now. I just got the news, the paps still have zero idea where your house is." From the other end, Tiffany could hear people speaking to him. It sounded like there was a slight commotion from where he was. "Listen, I gotta go. I'll call as soon as I can. Be safe, Sweet-pea."

Chris didn't wait for her to speak and ended the conversation in a hurry. For a time, Tiffany stared at the phone. Although she knew deep within her heart that whatever he was about to answer in his interviews regarding the issue was for her safety, she couldn't help but have jolts of much undesirable throbs from her chest.

The thuds from within her were subdued by light knocks from her bedroom door. From there, Carly and Scott emerged. "So, are you ready to be smuggled out of your own house?" Scott's voice hinted mischief but his eyes bore sedateness.

Tiffany swallowed and breathed in tenacity and looked straight back at the Evans siblings. "So what's the plan?" she inquired.

"Well," Carly sighed. "Our neighbors are friendlier and more supportive than we take them for. Not that we never thought of them as friendly because they really are..." Her over-chattiness was no doubt the effect of nerves that Scot had to cough.

Carly covered her lips with her right hand. "Oops. Sorry. What I wanna say is, everyone in our block agreed to help. We'll slip by their backyards until we reach our home."

"Wouldn't that be more dangerous than me staying put and pretending not to be home?" Tiffany's voice sounded tentative. "Besides, Chris said no one knows just yet, which house they need to look out for."

It did not escape her how Scott rolled his eyes, not from annoyance but from the fact that he knew she would have reservations about having to temporarily live with the Evanses. "Dear, if those paps will camp out for days, you might die of starvation here. It would be most ideal if you stay with us." He sat beside Tiffany putting an arm across her shoulders. "I'll carry Penny for you... And we'll make sure we won't get caught. We were able to come sneak in here without anyone seeing us, so I'm sure will be able to move back home without a hitch, too."

Tiffany knew she'd really be safer at the Evanses. She was just toiling in calming down her nerves, as usual. At this point, she wouldn't agree with what was being laid out to her but she made a decision, anyway. After about half an hour, she found herself, with Carly, Scott and Penny, maneuvering through their neighbors' backyards. In no time, they arrived at their destination without being seen by the watchful people sprawling along their block.

Chris's mom slid the glass back door open for them. Although, distress was written all over her face, Lisa's eyes were welcoming. A little conversation was in order followed by the matron leading Tiffany to Chris's room. "He specifically said you can crash his space. He's giving you an all access pass." Lisa winked at her.

Tiffany accorded Lisa with the warmest embrace. "Thank you so much for everything."

The Evans matron responded with an equally hearty hug. "I know it isn't the most ideal situation. And both of you... All of us knew the repercussions it entailed if you and Chris got together before your divorce." Lisa look into Tiff's eyes as she smoothed the latter's long hair, just as a mother would gesture to a daughter. "I know you might be thinking you're at fault here, dear. But my son pursued you. Circumstances might have been premature but I know in my heart, you were meant for each other. We're all equally responsible for this. So, we're gonna get through this together."

Tiffany hugged the old lady once more. "Thank you, Momma Lisa."

"If this is my reward for sticking out for you, then it is all worth it, my child," Lisa embraced her back and kissed her temple.