Been Tricked

Hi lovely people! I hope everyone is still doing well. The world has turned quite insane for the past month. I hope everyone supports and respects one another and truly have compassion for every living and breathing being. 

With that said, apologies for the long hiatus. I consider more than a month of not updating, long. In my part, excruciating because the longer I take a leave from writing the harder it is for me to get back into it. I have been penning this chapter for a couple of weeks now. I find it even more difficult now since it's about to end. Need to tie lose ends before the grand finale. So, I would have to apologize even more because instead of 41 chapters, I have to add one more just to make sure I don't leave anything out.

For those who have been waiting for an update, thank you so much for your patience. I would have to apologize the third time because this may not be an exciting chapter after the long wait. But if you do enjoy it, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

-SS

Tiffany could hear some bird chirping just outside her bedroom window when she got out of the bath. Chris was still rooted to where he was sitting when she left him, his phone sandwiched between his palms.

She sat beside him, brushed her hand against the length of his back and kissed his shoulder. "Well Penny's not here, but... I could get Penny for your thoughts?" She deliberately plastered an over-the-top smile on her face.

This woman had zero comedic skills, he thought, but she made him laugh, nevertheless. She was just that charming. "Never think of shifting careers. Especially not stand-up comedy, sweet pea."

"Why not?" She winked at him as she hooked her arms around his shoulders, her body angled to face him. "I make you laugh insanely."

Chris flipped his phone to the bed. He wrapped his arms on hers, as well, and pulled her to lie down on the mattress, on purpose. "That's because," he brushed his lips on hers. "I'm utterly biased."

As they stared at each other, both pairs of eyes fluttering, Tiffany combed his hair with her fingers. Her hazels were inquiring. "So... What's the phone call about?"

He cleared his throat before grabbing the phone from where he lodged it. While he was flipping his fingers on the screen, he looked at her. "Remember when I told you I hired a private investigator?"

Tiffany's nod was tentative. She wasn't sure why her heart skipped in leaps and bounds with the mere mention of the PI.

"Apparently, Meg forgot to end his service." He browsed through his iPhone. "So, he was able to go into one more digging in Mike's life and recorded this."

Her hand was shaking when she took the phone from him. She swallowed courage before pressing the play button. The audio of the video was quite clear even if it was shot a few meters away from the person being investigated. How these PIs deliver, she could only guess.

The camera followed Mike into a discreet pub. She couldn't tell if it was in Boston, but definitely the place is not in Sudbury. He stopped at the far corner of the pub while the investigator lodged himself just a few meters away.

A woman was waiting for Mike at the corner table And when Tiffany realized who it was, she proceeded to sit on the bed. "I know this woman!"

*

They were already having breakfast on the nook in the kitchen, but Tiffany still couldn't wrap her head around what she saw. The video recording kept playing in her mind as she dragged the piece of pancake across her plate.