Chapter 1: Gravity Falls

I jammed my earbuds farther into my ears as we drove. I kept my gaze fixed on the forest of evergreens. Where did my parents get a crazy idea that I should be seperated from civilization for the summer? It wasn't fair!

I swear I kept seeing... things coming out of those woods, but I doubted anyone would belive me, so I kept my trap shut. I sighed and leaned my head against the window.

We passed a sign saying Welcome To Gravity Falls. Behind the sign was a huge waterfall. I guess that was pretty cool. But then I caught sight of the town. Population, 100. Or in other words, it was tiny. A few cars drove to and fro and pedestians walked the streets.

It was July, and everyone was outside in this heat. I was glad for the air in our car. I hoped our rental home had AC. Another doubt.

"Kayla," my mom said. "Isn't this just lovely! Much better than that silly little screen of yours!"

"Sure, mom," I said.

We drove through town and passed a few things that caught my attention. A mall, an arcade and a pizza place. Maybe this summer wouldn't be as insufferable as I thought.

We pulled into the rental house and my jaw dropped. It was a one story with a sagging roof, borded up windows and no satilite. That means I won't have any TV or wifi! I crossed my arms. "Typical," I muttered under my breath.

I got out of the car and streched. I got my bag from the trunk and brought it up to the house. I opened the door and a mouse (or was it a rat?) scrambled out. I let out a surprised yelp.

"What is is?" My dad asked.

"N-nothing," I said. My mom was deathly afraid of small, fuzzy animals. That's why I didn't own any pets. I took a deep breath and walked into my summer home.

I flipped on the light swich and the room lit up. There was a living room with a joined kitchen and a hallway. There was one light for each room. I walked down the hallway and found two rooms. A bedroom and a bathroom. It was clear mom and dad would get the room. "Where am I suppose to sleep?" I asked.

"On the couch, honey," my mom said.

"What about my stuff?"

"Just set it in our room," dad said.

"Of course," I said under my breath.

I threw my stuff in the room and sat down on the couch. I leaned back. Was there anything entertaining here? "Hey, mom?" I said. "What are we doing today?"

"Oh, nothing much," she said. "You can take a walk while we unpack if you want."

I shrugged. "Alright."

"Be back for dinner," mom said. "6:00 sharp."

"Got it," I closed the door behind me. I walked outside and stopped. Where would I go? Was there really anything fun to do? I shrugged and decided to see the waterfall. I looked around and soon found a stand with a bunch of maps and stuff. I took one of Gravity falls and unfolded it.

The falls was about a mile away. I decided to risk it. I started to walk in the direction the map said.

People where everywhere. To be honest, I didn't mind being alone. It helped me think. Sometimes it helped too much. I have had some strange conversations with myself.

I walked out of the town and found a path. There was a sign that said _____ Falls, 1 mil_. The other parts where vandilized or missing paint.

I started down the trail at a good pace. Occationally some animal would jump out and scare me. I was really jumpy. A little too jumpy...

I jumped over a log and langed in a mud puddle. Mom's gonna kill me! I thought, looking down at my shoes and shorts. I quickly wiped most of it off, but they where still stained. There went a peaceful walk in the woods. I kept moving.

I heard the waterfall before I saw it. I turned around a corner and saw it. It was huge. I smiled. "Whoa," was all I could say. Living in the city had prevented me from seeing any of this. I ran up to it.

Before I got there, however, someone, or something, ramed into me. I was sent spraling on the ground. "Hey!" I complained. Thankfully I didn't land in any more mud.

I saw the thing that pushed me over and my heart stopped. It was a man. But it wasn't. He was too hariy and he was snarling. I gasped and finally got the sense that if I stayed where I was, I was going to die!

I scrambled to my feet, keeping my eyes on the dude. He was sniffing the air. I slipped behind a tree. I took a deep breath and ran.