CHAPTER SIX

maddy's head snapped up from her phone to look at her brother, who had the same confused look on his face as to why someone would be knocking on their door at nine in the morning, especially considering they technically weren't supposed to be living there. the only person who had been out here since they moved back were scott and stiles, and they weren't expecting anyone else to come out to welcome them back. derek shook his head at her, letting her know that he didn't know who the surprise visitor was either, before getting up to go answer it, maddy following close behind him. as soon as he opened the door her stomach dropped as she saw the sheriff standing on the other side, along with a few deputies.

"derek hale?" sheriff stilinski asked, looking at derek, who gave a small nod. "you're under arrest."

"can i ask what for?"

maddy saw the sheriff glance behind derek, his eyes softening at the sight of the panicked expression on the youngest hale. having worked the original case on the fire, sheriff stilinski remembered the night maddy, derek and their older sister spent at the police station the day of the fire. throughout the eight hours they were at the station, he remembered how the small nine year old girl didn't let go of her brother's hand once the entire time.

"murder," one of the deputies answered from behind the sheriff, both siblings immediately understanding what he was talking about. instead of saying something along the lines of "i didn't do it" or "i'm sorry, what?" like any normal person would, derek turned around, allowing sheriff stilinski to handcuff him.

maddy raised her eyebrows at her brother, which he responded to by shaking his head. after being together for so many years, they had learned to communicate with each other with simple gestures, so she knew he was trying to tell her that everything would be fine, but all maddison felt like doing at the moment was screaming about how much of an idiot he was being. what sane person just allows themselves to be arrested without any argument for a murder they didn't commit? especially when the person you're being accused of murdering was your older sister?

she was still confused about what made half of the beacon hills police department come to her house at 9:00 on a saturday morning. she knew it was because of laura's murder, that much was obvious, but there was no evidence pointing to derek. hell, the only thing that connected them to the crime at all was that they had buried laura's torso in the front yard, but how would they have found that already? all she knew was that one minute she had been sitting next to her brother on the couch after the two of them had went on a run together, and the next she was watching him get arrested for something he didn't do.

sheriff stilinski handed derek off to one of the deputies to be escorted to a police car when maddy walked over to him, her arms crossed over her chest. as scared as she was, her nerves lessened when she saw how relaxed derek was about the situation, which meant that either he had a plan, or he was putting a lot of faith into her coming up with a plan.

she knew that right now, her best chance at convincing anyone that derek was innocent was being as calm, cool, and collected as possible, but watching her only living relative get taken away in handcuffs was a bit of a nerve-wracking moment. she hugged her arms to her chest as tight as she could, desperately trying to force her remaining anxiety out of her.

"maddison, i understand derek is your legal guardian, correct?" she could tell sheriff stilinski felt bad for her, she could see it in his face. he had the same look most of her teachers had after the first parent-teacher conference when they met laura instead of her mom, and how all of her friends parents looked at her when they accidentally asked what time her parents would be picking her up.

she nodded, her panic receding even more the more she thought about the situation. besides the body, there was no evidence or motive for derek to kill laura, which the police would quickly realize when they identified her, which was why derek was so calm.