CHAPTER ELEVEN

"alright i'm out. nope. not doing it," maddy said, pacing in front of a now extremely angry derek. the two had been standing in between stiles's jeep and the camaro — which happened to be where they were keeping scott's boss, another one of derek's brilliant plans to become a felon — while scott and stiles attempted to call the alpha. what neither sibling realized, however, was that scott was apparently trying to send a message to every werewolf in the state of california. "we're dead meat. what the fuck do we do now? there's no way the alpha didn't hear that. i think i preferred when he sounded like a mutilated cat."

derek, in his usual fashion, ignored his sister, pushing past her to yell at an excited looking scott and stiles as soon as they came out of the school. maddy leaned against the camaro paying little attention to the lecture derek was giving the other two teenagers. she absentmindedly glanced back at scott's boss, her eyes widening when she realized he was no longer there. scott apparently noticed at the same time, glaring between the two siblings.

"what did you guys do to him?" he asked, moving closer to the camaro. derek turned around, shaking his head as he looked at maddy for confirmation that she hadn't done anything either.

before anyone could say anything else, the brunette let out a scream, a look of horror on her face as she watched a set of claws break through her brother's chest. her hand flew up to cover her mouth as she let out a sob, watching as the alpha lifted him into the air. her entire body felt numb as scott grabbed her arm, pulling her towards the school.

she collapsed against the wall as soon as scott dragged her inside the building, her back sliding down the wall as her legs gave out. she had never felt this type of pain before. not when kate electrocuted her, not when she found out laura was dead, not even after the fire. now she was completely, utterly alone. she had no one. it felt like all of the air had been knocked out of her, and she could no longer remember how to breathe.

"maddy, maddy i'm really sorry but we have to go. that door isn't gonna hold," scott said, bringing her back to reality. she glanced up at the door that scott and stiles had tried to jam with bolt cutters, and quickly realized that he was right. she nodded as she stood up, following the two boys into a random classroom. she stood near the door, tuning out their arguing as she listened for the alpha. she now knew one thing about him: he was smart. derek was the most obvious target, as well as the most dangerous. the alpha needed scott, he couldn't hurt him, and if he had gone for her or stiles, it would've given derek the time he needed to attack.

her attention snapped back to scott and stiles as the battery to stiles' jeep crashed through the window, landing at her feet. the three teenagers looked at each other with terrified expressions, a sense of hopelessness washing over all of them. their best chance of fighting the alpha was dead. derek was dead. she had learned a lot from her brother, but she was nowhere near the fighter he was, scott had no idea how to use his abilities, and stiles was well, stiles.

"maddy, i know you're having a rough time right now, but please. any suggestions would be great," stiles said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"the locker room," she mumbled, too tired to react to stiles' insensitivity about her last living family member's death. "there are like no windows in the locker room, lots of places to hide."

"see, there we go. that's a plan," stiles nodded. scott elbowed his best friend, subtly trying to send him a look that said 'you really need to shut up.'

the locker room plan was quickly turning into a bust. two minutes after they managed to get there without being murdered by the alpha, they were thrown out by the janitor. the three teenagers had barely been shoved out of the room when the door slammed shut, and the janitor was thrown against it. blood splattered on the small window, and maddy knew instantly that he was dead. she almost wished it had been her instead. almost.