CHAPTER SEVEN

after spending six hours at the police station waiting for derek to get released, maddison hale was finally reunited with her older brother. the reunion, however, was basically nonexistent, since the moment the two got in the car the brunette was listing off reasons why derek should not go off and murder scott and stiles.

so far, she was winning the debate, even though she had come pretty close to ripping stiles's head off herself earlier. she had yet to talk to scott since she saw him at her house when derek was arrested, but she had received a text from stiles saying that everything was good with him and they were getting ready for the game.

"scott's playing, isn't he?" derek asked through gritted teeth as she drove towards the school. the brunette had convinced him to actually come to the game with her since he was so worried about scott playing in it, mainly so that she wouldn't have to relay information to the older man every few plays.
he took a deep breath as she nodded, giving him an apologetic smile. maddy had tried everything she could to get the boy to back out of the game, but was frankly getting tired of the fact that he was refusing to listen to two people who knew a hell of a lot more about all of this than he did.

by the time they got to the field, the bleachers were packed, leaving maddy to look around for allison and hope that she had come through on her earlier promise of saving them seats. the younger hale glanced around the field, her eyes landing on allison in the stands, unfortunately standing next to her father. she nudged derek, nodding in the hunter's direction. she felt her brother momentarily tense up before following his younger sister over to her friend.

"maddy!" allison smiled, giving her friend a hug as she and derek sat down in front of the argents. allison smiled at derek, remembering him from the party the night of the full moon. she turned to her dad, introducing the siblings. "dad, this is my friend maddy, and that's her older brother derek."

"chris argent," he nodded slowly, looking from maddy to derek. he recognized the two werewolves, having seem them that same night, and remembering their family from when they were children. "it's nice to meet the two of you, especially you maddy. allison's said good things about you."

lydia showed up a moment later, taking a seat next to allison and striking up a conversation with the taller brunette as maddy turned to look at her brother, whose rigid posture wasn't doing anything to make allison's father any less suspicious of the siblings.

"loosen up, will you? i'm sure everything will be fine," she said through her chattering teeth, making derek look down at her. for the first time in the past few days, he actually cracked a smile, causing maddy to furrow her eyebrows in confusion. "what are you laughing at?"

"nothing rudolph," he laughed, referring to how her nose was bright red from the cold as he wrapped an arm around his younger sister to try and help her warm up. maddy couldn't help but smile at her brother's comment, leaning her head against his side as she waited for the game to start.

the nickname reminded her of the one tradition her and her siblings had created in new york, which was to go ice skating every christmas morning in central park. laura was always the best skater, and would amaze her younger sister with the amount of spins she would be able to do. she and derek on the other hand, couldn't skate to save their lives. the two would just wobble around, gripping onto each other for balance. afterwards, the three would go and get hot chocolate from the cafe across the street from their apartment. the year they moved to new york was the first time derek had ever referred to the young girl as rudolph, and the name ended up sticking since whenever she got remotely cold, her nose would start to turn pink.

she was brought back to reality as she heard the whistle blow, signaling the start of the game. the brunette felt derek tense up next to her every time scott did something, waiting for him to lose control and shift. she let out a string of profanities as jackson ran into scott in an attempt to get the ball, knocking the teen wolf to the ground in the process of scoring. she saw scott look up at where she and derek were sitting, most likely looking for allison, as she heard his heart rate begin to rise. she looked behind her to see allison and lydia holding up a sign saying "we luv u jackson," and felt bad for scott despite the fact she was still pissed at him. the players got back in position on the field, scott lowering his head. maddison felt her stomach drop as she heard the referee ask him if he was okay, earning nothing but a nod from scott. she felt derek shake his head as he glanced down at her.