CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

maddy laughed as she stumbled into isaac for the millionth time that night, wondering how the blond wasn't annoyed with her yet. his arms immediately wrapped around her waist, steadying her. the brunette had proved early on in the night that even with her supernatural reflexes, she had no sense of coordination in her heels, and isaac had easily accepted that he would have to make sure maddy didn't fall everytime they tried to dance.

"can i ask what possessed you to choose these shoes?" isaac asked. maddy noticed the amusement in his eyes as she looked up at him, wrapping her arms around his neck as another slow song began playing.

"i made the mistake of going shopping with lydia," she chuckled. "if i had it my way i would be wearing doc martins right now."

"maddy! finally, i've been looking everywhere for you. i need your help," stiles panted, earning himself looks from all the annoyed couples around him, including a death glare from maddy. "wait, lahey?"

"what do you want stiles?" maddy snapped, bringing the boy's attention back to her and away from her date.

"can you just come with me? i need your help with something, it's important," he begged, maddy's annoyance lessening somewhat when she noticed how frantic he seemed. then again, stiles always seemed frantic, so she wasn't really sure what to think.

"go ahead," isaac shrugged, giving her a small smile before she had a chance to protest. she frowned at him, but he shook his head, shrugging it off. "i have to run anyways. i kind of lost track of time, and my dad's gonna pissed that i'm late."

"text me later, yeah?" she sighed, pulling his head down and kissing him. unlike at the lacrosse game, he actually kissed her back this time, leaving her with a large smile when she pulled away. "at least these shoes make it easier to do that."

she could hear isaac laughing as she followed stiles out of the gym, her annoyance returning as he opened his mouth.

"since when are you and lahey-"

"stiles, i swear to god i will break your kneecaps if you keep talking," she snapped, struggling to keep up with how fast stiles was going. whatever serious problem he was having seemed to actually be important when he started running, maddy cursing her shoes as she focused on staying upright.

"you are so derek's sister," she heard him mumble, and in any other situation she would've punched him.

"what was so important that you had to interrupt my night?" she asked, speeding up slightly as she got the hang of running in her heels. she realized they were now running towards the lacrosse field, her eyes widening as she saw lydia standing alone in the middle of it. her heart rate began to speed up as stiles yelled at lydia to run, knowing they were too late.

she watched as peter went for lydia's throat, stiles paying her no mind as she began to slow her pace. the boy slid to the ground next to lydia and peter, while maddy stopped a few feet back, guilt covering every inch of her face.

"please, please don't kill her," she heard stiles beg, her stomach churning in disgust at the blood — lydia's blood — on peter's face. he looked at stiles for the first time, stroking lydia's face with one clawed finger.

"of course not," he chuckled. "just tell me how to find derek."

at that, maddy involuntarily took a step forward, her loyalty to her brother trumping anything she felt like she owed to stiles.

"i don't know, okay. i swear to god, i have no idea," stiles said, his breathing heavy. even from her position a few feet away, maddy could hear the irregularities in his heartbeat, meaning the lie he just told was abundantly clear to peter.