CHAPTER TEN

"alright, i vote we stage a coup and replace harris with you," isaac sighed, shaking his head slightly as he copied down some of maddy's notes. the two had spent the afternoon at the beacon hills library, also known as the most pathetic excuse for a library maddison had ever seen. she had noticed that he was struggling in class recently, and offered to tutor him if he wanted. the boy immediately accepted, which led to the two of them agreeing to meet up at the library for a couple hours every saturday, with the exception of today since they had a big test tomorrow.

"honestly, i'd be down for it.  harris can't teach for shit, i'd have you all ready for the ap test by may. i think i could probably even get jackson to pass it," maddy laughed. she looked over at isaac, her smile disappearing as she noticed he still looked stressed beyond belief. "you know, you're actually really good at this stuff once you figure it out. with the way harris teaches, if i hadn't already taken chemistry, i would honestly have no idea what i was doing."

at that, isaac sent her a small smile. she knew he hadn't been doing bad in the class to begin with, but after overhearing him tell harris he couldn't go home with another b, she figured it couldn't hurt to offer to help him. especially since he had been nothing but nice to her since she came back to beacon hills, unlike almost every other person in their grade. she guessed he just had overbearing parents, but still, she got a bad feeling everytime she noticed how stressed he was during class.

"why did you come back to beacon hills?" isaac asked, changing the topic away from chemistry for the first time. his question caught maddy off guard, which from the apologetic look isaac gave her, she figured was obvious from her face. "sorry, i don't mean to pry-"

"no, no, it's okay. you just haven't asked me about anything other than chem since we got here," she shrugged. "that body they found in the woods right before school started up again was my older sister, laura. she came back to beacon hills a few weeks before derek and i, and she eventually stopped answering all of our calls and stuff, so derek dragged me back here to come look for her. i tried to convince him to let me stay in new york, but he refused to leave me alone in the city, which i guess i get. he's kind of overprotective, but he has a right to be."

"i'm really sorry, i didn't realize that was your sister or else i wouldn't have asked. it's probably not your favorite thing to talk about," he said, an embarrassed smile on his face. she wasn't really sure why she told isaac all of that, considering they barely knew anything about each other, but there was something comforting about hanging out with isaac. she liked being able to talk to someone and not worry about scott or the alpha or even derek, just for a little while.

"was your brother the one who kept calling you earlier?" he asked, referring to the four calls and 13 text messages maddy had gotten earlier before she gave up and turned her phone off.

"isaac, really, it's fine. and no, that unfortunately was stiles. what's so important he had to call me that many times, i have no idea, but i'm going to guess that i probably won't care as much as he thinks i will," she laughed. "speaking of my brother, though, i have to head home. i borrowed his car today and i kinda have to give it back to him so i can force him to go to parent teacher conferences. curtis and harris are kind of getting fed up with me being too smart for their classes, so they told me i have to be at them."

she said a quick goodbye to isaac, insisting on leaving her chemistry binder with him so that he could study her notes for the test tomorrow since he seemed to understand them a lot better than anything harris gave them, before getting in the camaro and driving home. it didn't take her long to get back to her house, her heart dropping into her stomach as she saw two familiar suvs parked outside. she weighed her options, knowing derek would want her to turn around and get the hell away from the house until she knew the hunters were gone, but she had no idea if her brother was in there by himself with god knows how many hunters.
the brunette sighed as she got out of the car, looking around for any hunters. if none of them killed her, there was a good possibility derek might. she stopped on the porch, trying to see if she could hear anything inside. her chest tightened as she heard electricity crackle followed by derek's labored breathing. it took all of her self control not to run inside and do something stupid, knowing whichever hunter was in there with him had to be really good at what they do to remotely hurt derek.

before she had a chance to do anything, however, all of her muscles contracted as she felt the same burst of electricity derek probably felt. her entire body felt like it was on fire as she collapsed, a feeling of paralysis taking over as she squeezed her eyes shut. she felt someone grab her roughly by the arm, still in too much pain to do anything to fight back. her body had barely had a chance to try and heal itself before she felt another burst of electricity, this one coming in contact with her stomach. it took all the strength she had left not to cry out in pain as the hunter dragged her into her house, throwing her on the ground in the living room. she opened her eyes to see derek next to her, his expression a mix of anger and concern. whether the anger was directed at her or the hunters, she wasn't sure.

"found this one snooping around outside. figured it was the other sister," the hunter who brought her inside said, presumably to the one in charge. maddy looked away from her brother expecting to see allison's father, but was instead met with a slightly younger, much more beautiful woman she assumed was allison's aunt, kate. the same kate who had shot and almost killed her brother yesterday.

"well, well, well," kate said, kneeling down in front of maddison. she had never understood what an evil smile was before, but this woman made it extremely clear. "you must get your looks from your brother. nice to meet you, kid."

"stay away from her," derek growled, struggling to sit up from his spot on the ground. kate glanced over at him, shaking her head. her expression terrified maddison even more when she noticed the amusement in her eyes. she jabbed her baton into maddy's side, never taking her eyes off derek as the brunette cried out in pain, taunting him. kate stood up, snapping the weapon shut.

"come on guys, why aren't we helping each other out?" kate said, looking between the two werewolves. "you might as well admit what you've been guessing all along, which is that the alpha killed your sister. all you have to do is tell us who he is, and we'll take care of it for you. problem solved, everybody goes home happy."

maddy ignored the pain for a moment, trying to grasp what the hunter was saying. she had never considered that the alpha had killed laura, but derek probably had, which was also probably the reason he refused to let her go with him to track the alpha. the anger she had been harboring towards her brother began to subside as she realized he's been trying to protect her from a lot more than he was letting on.
"unless you don't know who he is either," kate scoffed.

the next thing maddison knew, derek had picked her up and was running out of the house as fast as he could. she heard a spray of gunshots as her brother jumped off the porch, sprinting into the woods, not stopping until he was a good hundred yards away from their house. he set her down, breathing heavily as his body still tried to recover from the electrocution.

"what were you thinking?" derek snapped, kneeling down next to his sister. despite the anger in his voice, he was looking at her with nothing but concern. "i texted you not to come home. you could've gotten yourself killed."

"i never got it. i was at the library with a friend and stiles kept texting me, so i turned my phone off. i didn't realize the hunters were there until i got home, and by that point i was too worried about you to leave," she groaned, her muscles screaming in pain as she tried to sit up. kate's baton had been more painful than the two shocks from the other hunter combined, and she had no idea how derek managed to find the strength to get both of them out of the house that fast. "maybe if you hadn't almost died yesterday i would have been slightly more comfortable getting the fuck out of there as soon as i realized hunters were there."

derek sighed as he sat down next to his sister, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. as she leaned into her brother's side, maddison came to the conclusion that she hated everything about beacon hills. she hated how complicated it made their lives. she hated that the people here kept trying to kill her family. she hated how alone she felt here. she hated that it made her brother have to worry about her so much. as maddy glanced up at the darkening sky, it dawned on her that parent-teacher conferences were starting soon, and if she wasn't at them with some sort of parental guardian figure, there was going to be hell to pay from some of her teachers.

"i know this isn't great timing, but any chance you're in the mood to listen to my teachers complain about how i'm too smart?"