Chapter 16: Chunin Tournament - 3

"Up first, Ino Yamanaka and Shikamaru Nara!" Genma announced.

"Good luck guys." Naruto nodded at them.

"Thanks Naruto. Don't feel bad about cheering for Ino. She's your teammate after all."

"Naruto you'd better cheer for me." Ino said with a fake smile that made no effort to hide the malice in her voice.

"Yes ma'm!" Naruto saluted, "I will cheer for you."

Sasuke patted Ino on the shoulder, "Good luck."

Ino nodded, "Thanks."

The two genin walked down to the arena. Both knew the other's jutsu well from their fathers. Of course Ino had the Astral Clone, but she didn't doubt Shikamaru had some equivalent.

BEGIN

Ino smashed a smoke bomb on the ground and sent three Astral Clones at Shikamaru while she used an Earth Style ninjutsu to tunnel underground.

"Fire Style: Flame Bullet Jutsu!" Shikamaru shot three quick bullets of fire towards the clones, popping each of them. He spotted the hole that Ino made before and quickly ran towards it. "Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu!" he blasted a large flame down the tunnel.

"Water Style: Raging Waves!" Ino's voice came from behind Shikamaru. A blast of water hit him in the back and knocked him over. "Ha! I tricked you Shika!" she taunted as she ran towards him. She dodged three kunai from the Nara heir and kept going, or at least tried to.

"Shadow Possession Jutsu, success." Shikamaru said. His shadow extended to the kunai and then to Ino. "Shadow Stitching Jutsu!" spikes of shade erupted from the shadows around Ino's feet, leaving cuts around the girl's feet and legs.

Shikamaru's shadow returned to him and he tossed three kunai around Ino in a triangle. Each kunai had a seal on it, "Three Pillar Sealing Jutsu!" Shikamaru focussed chakra into the kunai.

Suddenly a large blue shield of chakra formed from the kunai, blocking Ino from leaving.

Naruto's eyes widened. Shikamaru hadn't told him about any fuinjutsu. 'Guess he was keeping it secret.' "Ino! Tunnel!" he shouted. Sure Shikamaru would hear but there was no way to avoid that.

Ino nodded. She gathered chakra and broke the ground beneath her. She jumped into the tunnel and cam up right beside the barrier. As she came up she threw ten shuriken and ran towards Shikamaru.

The Nara made a hand seal and shadows danced around him, blocking the shuriken, "Nara Style: Shuriken!" Shikamaru tossed five shuriken. Ino dodged them but as they passed their shadows linked with Ino's and the throwing stars were pulled into Ino, stabbing her in the back.

Shikamaru ran towards Ino and punched her in the stomach twice before kicking her away. "Fire Style: Flame Bullet Jutsu!" Shikamaru fired off three bullets of flame that honed in on Ino, creating a large explosion.

Suddenly Shikamaru's vision changed. He looked around and saw a large field of grass. He reached down, rubbing his fingers across the blades, "Hmm, it's soft." he laid down, "And the clouds are nice." he smiled at the sky, "I'll stay here for a bit. I've done enough." then a frown crossed his face, "Troublesome. Asuma-sensei will get disappointed if I just give up. And after what happened to Hinata and Choji and Kiba. I can't stop here."

He stood up and shook his head, "Genjutsu: RELEASE!" he pulsed chakra off of himself. Suddenly he was back in the arena.

"Sorry Ino. I won't give up though, troublesome as you may be to fight."