Animals

Now this surprised me. I recently got back from a trip only to find my dog had been rushed to the vets on an emergency drip as she refused to eat or move.

I replied, "it's so strange that it always happens when I'm not home."

But in fact it's not a coincidence, it's the reason. Dogs too can suffer from anxiety and panic. So actually when I- the 'pack leader' as she would see it- has left, her routine has changed.

Even dogs live by routine to complete a happy life. Now, I'm not very advanced on the subject, but it's interesting and sad that they can get into this state.

"Wow," my mum said, "she's staying right by your side." "Can't believe she's fallen asleep this quickly next to you." Were two things she said, meaning when I got home her health improved.

Their symptoms are very similar to humans- won't eat, play, move, and just has that sad face. Those puppy dog eyes.

After being rushed to the vets, having blood tests and being drip fed, she is now laid on my bed, exhausted, trying to make up for all the restless nights she had.

How we respond
This is quite interesting.

Scenario 1: a dog
"My dog hasn't eaten. Is he OK? I'll give him some treats to help him so he doesn't go hungry. Yes, he likes those treats. I'll give him some more. Now he's on the sofa, looking quite sad. Is the temperature OK? Should I make it warmer? Does he like what's on the TV? Let's put on the 'Dog TV' full of nature and animals. No, he's not watching it. Does he want to go on a walk? Yes, I'll take him out. We'll give him some more treats first. What about work? Might need to call them and tell them I can't come in today. Family emergency. Dog is still looking sad! Right I'm not going to work today."

Even if you have a million things on your list to do- we all put our dogs first. Which is good! But we also need to take time to complete our own goals.

Scenario 2: a human
We'll give him a name: John.

"Oh dear, John, you don't look very well. Well, have these tablets. Right, I need to go to work."

Maybe because dogs are helpless beings, but we care for them and look after them. This is good for someone with anxiety as we can hold them and cuddle them and it's a creature that relies on us and loves us which adds tasks to our little list- feed, walk, cuddle.

It was also on my self care list. Spend even just 5 minutes by my dogs side in my ever busy life, just stroking her or playing with her. We developed a hide and seek game which she became good at- I'd hide (usually under a blanket) and she'd find me. So spend more time with your dog.

Already spend lots of time with them? Spend more.

Add an extra few minutes to that walk. Add an extra few minutes to the cuddles.