Volunteering

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."
- Mahatma Ghandi

This is a new one for me, I managed to volunteer for a local mental health charity. I'm not quite ready to be a 'listener' yet (there is an age restriction) but I raised nearly £200 and helping to build a small park for them to sit and enjoy. Right now it's a big mess filled with wasps nests and thorns. After many cuts and cleaning up many beer bottles it's looking good!

Photo taken in the tree area, where they hope people will enjoy gardening inside

I also visited a care home close to me- a good 45 minute walk. We played bingo and made a quiz, brought food. I was emotionally blackmailed into visiting again when one lady appeared about to cry when I told her this was my last time visiting. So I'm off there again. But I enjoyed it, and it's nice to think about others and watch their day brighten by just a simple chat. So I seem to be returning soon.

I'm also gardening again tomorrow- fuelled only by the thought of enjoying the garden myself when it is complete next year. But getting my foot in the door of the charity so I can be a 'listener' in a few years and help people suffering similar problems. I was always inspired by one of my teachers who volunteer for Samaritans- and help people in crisis when they're feeling very low. And I hope I can help like he does.

So week one of volunteering and I'm enjoying it! I'd probably recommend unless you don't like old people. You do have to shout when talking to them but I'm pretty good at that.

Tomorrow: six hours of gardening!