Looking back

Reading back how I felt last year seems like a different person. I've grown, got a fantastic job in a music shop doing what I love. Carrying on studies with the hope that I don't spiral into what I previously was. One can only hope. 

Now we are all in the biggest moment of our lives. The Quarantine. My other worries appear so small and insignificant now. If you're feeling rough, remember that this is supposed to be tough- but you're suffering means that in a few months we can all unload and be free and we have stopped the transmission to many vulnerable people. Imagine the amazing feeling when you step out of your door and you're allowed to go wherever you want. Freedom. 

It gives us time to practise skills and learn to be more independent. Even if you're struggling to do work from home, it's a learning experience to manage your time and appreciate how things will be when you get back to normal. As my psychology teacher said, 'you're about to become participants in the biggest experiment on distant learning there has ever been.' So think that you are an athlete and this is what you are made to do... I don't know how to improve situations.

Mental health problems are affectively under your control, even though it doesn't feel like it. Compared with this totally uncontrollable situation, so the lack of control makes us feel like guinea pigs in an uncontrolled, dangerous and scary experiment. 

But to feel better, everyone is going through the exact same thing. Your neighbours you haven't seen for months, your family who's faces have only been seen through your phone screen and even celebrities. 

You are not alone.

The only thing that's different is how you respond to the situation- you can take a hold, accept it and thrive in it- using this time to give yourself a break- or deny it and collapse in on yourself.

I like to think the earth has given us this time to put our busy lives on hold. Time we can use to learn new things- that instrument sat in your room, home improvements and reading and writing. Things you mean to get back to but 'can't find the time for'. The earth has gifted you this time for self-care and to learn things about yourself. Your talents and hobbies. 

You are not alone during this scary time. Now go self care!