Chapter 3

Elliot's pov

I slept in a bit this morning so on the way out of my apartment I'm in a rush and didn't realize I forgot to lock my door until I'm already at work.

I sigh and ruffle my hair as I put my bag in my cubby. I know this neighborhood doesn't have much crime but I can't help but be worried.

Thankfully Noah is a great boss and lets me leave when the shop isn't very busy to run back to my apartment. I decided it would be faster to run there but regretted it about half way through.

It didn't end up being faster but now I'm out of breath. I open my door and go inside to see if anything was stolen.

Everything worth any value is still there so I quickly lock my door and head back to The Watering Can.

I've been working there for almost two weeks now. The other person working here is a redheaded named Abigail. She's pretty nice.

I walk into the shop and see Noah talking to an elderly man and pointing at things in the flower book that is usually under the register.

"Do you want to come to a BBQ at my house this weekend?" Noah asks a few hours before my shift ends. "Evie will be there, some of Matthew's employees, and a few of our friends and family."

"Um, what day and time?"

"Five on Saturday." He says hopefully.

"Yeah, I can come. What's the address?"

"One sec, I'll text it to you."

***

The uber stops outside of Noah's house. It's a really nice house with a large green yard. I pay him and step out of the car. I walk up the drive way and onto their porch. Taking a deep breath I ring the bell.

I stand there for about a minute before the door opens up. A man with red hair, a short beard, and glasses opens the door and smiles at me.

"You must be Elliot."

"Ah, yeah I am. You're Gabriel?" I ask making him smile and nod.

"Yeah, but you can call me Gabe. Come on inside. The meat is almost done." He opens the door wider and I slip inside. He turns around and I follow him down the hall into a kitchen.

Noah, a middle aged women with shoulder length white hair and another women around the same age with grey hair tied into a tight bun at the nape of her neck are placing food on to the dining table.

When we walk in they all turn to us and I see Noah smile.

"Eli! You made it." He cheers.

"Yeah. What are you guys doing?"

"Just setting the food out but I think we're done. Oh! This is my mom Annie," He gestures towards the women next to him. "And this is Catrina; Matthew's mom."

I smile and shake both of the smiling ladies' hands.

"Pleasure to meet you both." I say smiling awkwardly.

"Aw," Annie coos, "He's adorable."

"He is isn't he. You're hair is gorgeous. And look at you, your mama must make sure you eat well." I must make a face because Catrina gasps. "Oh honeybunch you know I didn't mean anything mean by that. It's good to have some extra pounds. You don't want to end up looking like mr. noodle over there." Catrina whispers the last part but Noah obviously hears her.

"Hey! I'm not a noodle. I'm slim." Catrina makes a humming noise that makes it seem like she doesn't believe him.

Noah looks out the window and then turns to me. "Alex is bringing the meat in so can you help me get the lemonade and beer from the fridge? It's in the basement."