Chapter 10

Eli's pov

The adoption center called me yesterday and told me I got approved for adopting Liquorice. They said I will be able to pick him up anytime tomorrow. I can't help the smile that appears on my face. But I frown when I remember my schedule today.

Today is gonna be busy for me because I have work at the floral shop until one and then my shift at Denny's starts at one forty-five and doesn't end till midnight.

In my backpack I brought my uniform so I can change in the bathroom of the floral shop before leaving.

I get to the shop and see someone waiting outside of the door looking impatient. I unlock the door and tell the man to wait a few minutes. I clock in and prepare the store for opening. I flip the closed sign to open and move behind the counter as the man looks through the flowers I just moved from the fridge.

A few more people come in that I tend to before the delivery man arrives. I sign for the flowers and put some of them around the store while the rest go in the back refrigerator. After a few minutes of no one coming into the shop I walk into the backroom towards Noah's office.

"Hey Noah, did the center call you yet?" I ask peeking my head into the room. Noah looks up and smiles at me.

"Yeah, they called me this morning. They said I can pick Oscar up Thursday. What about you?"

"That's great! They called me yesterday I'm getting Liquorice tommorow."

"Congratulations!" He cheers, standing up and hugging me. I hug him back and smile against his neck.

The hug lasts a few moments before Noah pulls away and looks at me, his arms still around my shoulders. He stares at me before glancing down at my lips. His slowly smile drops and his tongue flicks out to lick his lips before he looks back at me.

Is he going to kiss me? But he's in a relationship. Just because he's dating three guys doesn't mean he likes every guy he sees.

But from the way he's looking at me I can't tell.

I study Noah's face that's only inches from mine. The small freckle under his eye, the almost invisible white scar on his chin, the redness on his cheeks, I've never seen someone so beautiful. And his eyes. The clearest blue I've ever seen with streaks of olive green. His eyes flutter shut as his face gets closer.

Our lips barely brush before the call bell dings breaking us apart. I didn't even hear anyone come in. I spare Noah a glance before turning and rushing out of his office.

***

Noah and I avoided each other for the rest of the day except for when I told him I was leaving. I went to work at the dinner and when I came home I went straight to sleep.

The next morning I went to the adoption center and picked up Liquorice. I had to take an Uber since I wasn't able to bring him on the L train with me.

On the way back to my apartment I briefly thought about getting a car but I don't have the best driving record which would make driving in the city even worse. Also I'm pretty sure living in the city makes you insurance more expensive.

It was expensive enough living in a small town. I'm glad I had an older car and was able to sell it when I moved to Chicago.

I pay the Uber driver and take Liquorice up to my apartment. I let him explore the apartment while I do some light cleaning.

Hopefully he likes the place. Is it down next to him as he plays with a toy. He ignores me and when I try to pet him he hisses and runs off.

What happened to the sweet little cat I was cuddling with a the adoption agency.

My phone dings and my stomach twists when I see it's from Noah. Is he firing me for almost kissing him yesterday?

Noah
hey sorry i know you weren't scheduled to work today but kara just called in sick do you think you could come in? she was supposed to be working from 1 to close.

I sigh in relief and send him a quick text in confirmation. I change into my work clothes and grab everything I need. After a quick goodbye to Liquorice I head out the door towards the shop. Thankfully Grace didn't come out to talk to me.

***

Noah's pov

I bite at my nails as I wait for Eli to arrive. I can't believe I almost kissed him yesterday. But he seemed okay with it, I mean he didn't pull away until the dumb customer interrupted us.

I sigh and move my hand from my mouth to my hair. I shouldn't think like that.

Last night after I got home everyone was home so it seemed like a good time for us all to talk about Eli together. I told them about what happened and since they all already knew about my feelings for him they were happy for me.

Alex was a little jealous because he's not used to any of us having feelings for others outside of out poly cule. But we all talked about it and I think it helped. I also thinks it helps that Alex has a crush on Eli as well. I wanted to bring up him joining our quad but it seemed too soon. Besides, Gabe doesn't have feelings for him.

Alex said he might grow out of it but he's not sure yet. Knowing Alex he's probably right. Alex gets little crushes on cute guys all the time and after a little while he loses interest.

Matthew said he had feelings for Eli and would like to pursue a relationship with him. But hasn't found the right time to bring it up with him since the only time they see each other is over lunch. Maybe they could go on a lunch date together. That would be cute.

But Eli isn't even polyamours, he may not even like any of us like that.

The bell above the door rings so I stand and walk to to the front of the shop. I walk out of my office and run straight into Eli.

"Oh sorry. I thought you were a customer." I say taking a step back.

"Oh, it's fine." Eli mutters not looking at me. He shuffles around before turning and hanging up his bag. He clocks in and turns to me his cheeks dark.

I quickly look down. Why am I so nervous this isn't like me.

"I'm sorry I almost kissed you yesterday. I shouldn't-"

I look at Eli and furrow my brows "What? I should be the one apologizing. You're the one in a relationship." I glance at him and see him running his fingers over the table.

"We're open."

"What?" He asks looking up at me.

"It means were allowed to see other people as long as we talk to each other about it first. It wasn't much of a kiss but I'm still sorry, but I don't regret it. I mean if you hated it I would."

"I didn't hate it."

I look up at Eli and feel my cheeks heat up even more. "Oh, well that's good because I didn't either."

Eli looks up at me finally and his lips pull up into a small smile.