6 | Shards (I)

2412 Iclis 1, Daleth

Elred blinked at Reeca like horns just grew out of her head. Or, maybe they're halfway there, already. What Reeca was planning was not only dangerous, it's also hypothetical. What's more dangerous than not being entirely sure? The guest room's temperature rose along with the waves of disbelief rolling off Elred.

Reeca sighed. "Look, all I'm doing is connecting this maximizer to Xanthy's power and it hopefully leads us to the thrones," she strode past Elred before sitting on the bed once more.

Elred scratched her head as she retook her seat on the couch across the bed. "Where do I come in, then? The works are all you and your... fingers thing."

"Give me a secluded room and use your crystals to provide me a view of the island," Reeca raised her eyebrows at Elred's direction. What in Umazure was that description of weaving? She cocked her head to one side. "You can do at least that, right?"

Elred nodded. "I think so. Yes," she swiped at her chin before setting her hands down her lap once more. She angled her body towards Reeca. "Help me evacuate the people."

It was Reeca's turn to blink at the shard fairy. "What?"

Elred's shoulders slumped as she played with the hem of her tailored bodice. "When the Sovereign attacks Helinfirth, she will not stop at Abshire," Elred pursed her lips. "I won't stand idly by waiting for Xanthy to come here because that could fail. The Sovereign will have my head and the territory goes along with it. We have to get the innocent out of the way."

"What makes you think they would listen to me?" Reeca crossed her arms. "I'm not from here. You also forget that they're nobles."

Elred rubbed her face, seemingly erasing more glamours on her skin in the process. "I'll provide you with an endorsement with the official seal. They should believe that."

Reeca frowned. She came here to finalize her plan on finding the thrones, not to become an overnight evacuation master. It should be every fairy for themselves. She's a lone flier and had priorities lying elsewhere. She's not doing this.

Her gaze settled back on Elred's face set with a determination not common anywhere. Maybe...

Reeca sucked the inside of her cheek, gazing up at the ceiling. She rested her gaze on Elred after a minute or two. "I require a different payment for that," she kept her tone flat. Bored. She had the upper hand here.

Desperation breeds suggestibility.

"We agreed on me aiding you with finding Xanthy and in aiding you in the coming attack," Reeca inclined her head at the shard fairy. "But we didn't get to the evacuation."

Elred narrowed her eyes but sat straighter. "What do you want?"

Reeca held back her grin. It's no use to show Elred that Reeca has already won. She jerked her chin at Elred. "Tell me everything you know about Synketros," she wagged a finger in Elred's direction. "Everything and not that crap about protecting the island. I need you to tell me what Marthiaq Lebayou saw in the Sovereign that drove him out."