15 | Choice (I)

2412 Iclis 10, Velpa

Nyxis awoke with sunlight blasting through the room's thick, velvet curtains. Where was he? His gaze landed on the pixie sitting cross-legged next to him. She turned to him with a frown. "Rise with the sun, soldier," Canelis's tone was flat and unamused.

"Yeah," Nyxis groaned and stretched. His neck hurt from sleeping in an awkward position for the whole second sphere. He rubbed his eyes. "I am not a morning person."

Canelis clicked her tongue and hefted a sword. Nyxis blinked. "Is that...?"

The pixie tugged at the sword's hilt and a shrill shriek grated in Nyxis's ears as the sword slid out halfway. "Came back by the first quarter."

Nyxis yawned and mussed his hair. "What time is it?"

Canelis shrugged, satisfied that the thing she was holding was her sword. She clicked it shut. "A few minutes off the second hour of the first quarter," she stood up and ducked out of the cell. It's time.

Nyxis banged his head against the cell's ceiling as he shot up. The sounds of bone hitting metal reverberated across the room's slate gray walls. Stars danced in his vision as he followed Canelis off the cell. He rubbed his scalp as Canelis shut the cell door again. Nyxis raised an eyebrow. That's polite.

Then, he frowned. He probably looked like a wraith which was unacceptable. A mirror. He needed to find a mirror. Quickly. His eyes swept the room, past the velvet-curtained windows to the right and the door to his left. Alright—carpet, desk, dagger, bed, cell, maps, portraits. Nyxis froze. Dagger.

Canelis's dark eyes were heavy on Nyxis's back as he trudged to the desk containing a handful of rolled-up maps and a dozen astrolabes. A sheathed dagger with a black gem glowing on its pommel glinted at the dim light of the room. Nyxis pursed his lips. It's the one June decidedly left when he exited the room last night. Was he urging them to use it?

Nyxis shrugged. To hell with it. His fingers closed around the dagger and soon, it was latched to his belt. Canelis appeared by his side. "Are you quite finished?" the pixie turned to the door.

"No, I still need to find a mirror," Nyxis shoved his fingers into his hair and tilted his head here and there. June couldn't have had such perfect hair without owning a single looking glass! "I look like I have met Pidmena."

A strong tug from his arm sent him reeling backwards. Canelis had her fingers closed around his bicep and soon, he was being dragged backwards. "What—"

"Soldiers do not look pretty in a war," Canelis propped the room's door open and shoved Nyxis out. "Get your head into the fight, princess."

Nyxis frowned. Why was everyone calling him a princess? It's not just an insult, but an undermining comment about his perfection. If they're going to liken him into a female figure, why not goddess? Nyxis snorted at his own thoughts. Canelis rolled her eyes and shook her head, muttering under her breath.