17 | Escape (I)

Nyxis grabbed Xanthy's arm,stopping her in place before she ran back into the courtyard

Nyxis grabbed Xanthy's arm,stopping her in place before she ran back into the courtyard. "Xanthy, please! We have to get out of here," he also didn't like how desperate his tone was. Since this was Xanthy he was talking to, he might need more than just desperation, now.

He glanced at Canelis who stood by the foyer, a step from a bridge leading west. The wind shifted outside, teasing Nyxis's hair off his forehead. He felt like cursing. They were this close to freedom and Xanthy just had to jeopardize it.

Xanthy shrugged her arm from his grip. "You do not control me," she hissed. Her voice was so sharp and hard that it almost scratched a gash in Nyxis's heart. "June needs me."

Nyxis shoved his fingers into his hair. "He betrayed you, remember?" he yelled. His voice bounced across the corridor in bouncing echoes. "Why can you not see that?"

"I know that," Xanthy raised her eyes to his. Nyxis's eyes widened when he found hers brimming with tears. "He is my friend from the beginning. There is no way I am leaving him."

Nyxis cursed as Xanthy turned and ran back from where they came. Of all the stupid things this girl got to do, this? Nyxis turned to Canelis. "Go," he jerked his chin into the bridge looming before them. "There is nothing you could do for us here."

Canelis shook her head. Nyxis clenched his fists beside him. Oh, the stress was going to make him older. The pixie was another problem with her honor-bound, soldier morals. Why don't girls ever listen to him?

"I can still help you," the pixie played with the sword sheathed by her hip. "I am not hurt. At least, not much."

"Yes!" Nyxis slapped his forehead. "You are not. But you will be if you do not get your rear off here," he risked a look back as if proving a point. "There are soldiers bound to catch us. Your people still need you."

Canelis blinked, stepping back. "You are not the first person to say that to me today," she whispered.

"Because you are important," he waved his hand at the exit inviting them. "Do not make my mistake by abandoning your people when they need you most. I was never a royal," he faced Canelis. "But you, you are born for it, possess qualities for it. Lead your people past this difficult time. Avenge them some other time. The Heiress will still be around tomorrow and the days after that."

Canelis averted her eyes as if she found the red, patterned rugs covering the floor interesting. She clutched her sword to her side. "I hate it when unwalled creatures have a point," she muttered. A soft breath flew out of her lips as she faced Nyxis again. "Well, it seems I am unwanted here," she unlatched her sword from her waist and shoved it into Nyxis's hands.

Nyxis's eyes widened as he was the one that stepped back this time. "What...?"

"It is a symbol of my gratitude and my honor," Canelis jerked her chin at the sheathed sword. "I will remember this day when you and your friends reminded me that my people should come first. As long as you have that sword, call unto Peltra and we will answer."