12 | Hurt (II)

"You are nothing but a filthy beast," Nyxis growled at June as the half-blood shoved him into a cell

"You are nothing but a filthy beast," Nyxis growled at June as the half-blood shoved him into a cell. The reason why June had a cell in his room was something Nyxis didn't even want to know.

"Why are you doing this?" Nyxis searched his friend's face to get any indication that this wasn't happening. June's expression was a blank mask. The cheerful person that once rode with Nyxis's humor was nowhere to be found. More like, it's as if it had never existed all along. "Xanthy does not deserve this."

June stared at Nyxis but didn't speak. He only moved to clasp chains around Nyxis's wrists. "Answer me!" Nyxis screamed. "Why are you doing this?"

The sound of chains snapping shut echoed in the still air around them "This castle is rigged with protection against magic usage that even stops the Virtakios," June said as he moved to clamp cuffs around Canelis's wrists. The pixie growled but didn't fight. "They will only remove that prohibition to give way to the extraction as per the Heiress's orders."

"Just die," Canelis rasped, tugging at her chains. "I do not have time for this. My people need me."

June regarded Canelis. "Then your people will have to learn to live without their Crown General," June retrieved Canelis's sword resting against a wall. "And their heir."

"You vile, insolent, piece of sh—" Canelis rattled off a colorful string of insults that made Nyxis's errant heart proud. June didn't blink. He hefted the pixie's sword. "This will make a fine decoration in the torture rooms," he muttered to himself. Nyxis squirmed against his chains as the half-blood turned to the door without looking back. In a few seconds and after the door clicked shut, there was no trace of June left.

As it should have been from the start.

Nyxis rested his head against the wall of the cell. How come it ended up like this? He was supposed to meet Xanthy in Dwanzeig to do who knows what. He would have forewent searching for Cardina's throne for a while to help Xanthy. Then, he got the note that Xanthy was going to Peltra and that wasn't needed anymore.

He pretended the dismissal didn't hurt. Sure, who was he to Xanthy, anyway? He had a throne to find. Then, right as he was having fun in Helinfirth, Reeca had to burst his bubble to say that she didn't trust June and that Xanthy might be in danger with this Death Knight running around and requesting her presence.

Oh, how the past came biting Nyxis back in the rear. Not only was Reeca right in Xanthy being in danger, she was also right in not trusting June. June was the damned Death Knight, for Rudik's sake.

Rage curled at the base of Nyxis's stomach. How perfectly had the half-blood wormed his way towards Xanthy's life, keeping her close just so he could betray her in the end. For what? So he could do his mission? So he could get to haggle with the High Queen to grant him a wish.

How selfish. Nyxis cursed. How had he not seen this sooner? He could have warned Xanthy and saved them a ton of hassle of being stuck in prison cells later. To think that Nyxis let June say what he did to Xanthy and have what those two now shared.