15 | Choice (II)

June braced himself against the wall, panting

June braced himself against the wall, panting. He's too far out to reach the Heiress on time.

The High Queen stalked towards Xanthy and Nyxis who lay on top of each other, both in a daze. June extended his hand and summoned a spell. Lightning ricocheted across the room before gathering in one spearhead zooming straight towards the Heiress. There was an explosion, a crash, then silence.

June pushed himself off the wall. He ran towards Xanthy, keeping note of the squirming figure to his immediate right. He sent another lightning spell on the Heiress, wincing as it hit the High Queen's body. Think about that later. Now, he had to save Xanthy.

He hauled his two friends away and into the arched entrance. He felt Xanthy's forehead while she muttered about wanting butterbread. How he wished she would wake up. Something cracked and crunched. A heavy voice stormed the courtyard.

"Foolish children," the Heiress hissed even though it was the High Queen's mouth moving. "You think you can quench me?"

"No, but I can buy them time," a voice said somewhere behind June. In a flash, a figure dashed past him. It wore a plain white robe, a long, thin sword blazing in her hand.

The High Queen under the Heiress' control stepped back as Canelis drove her away from them. "Take the brownie and the human away from here!" she yelled without looking back before thrusting her sword towards the Heiress. "I can handle it from here."

June nodded his thanks and spread his hands over Nyxis and Xanthy, muttering every healing spell he knew. To his relief, Nyxis snapped awake, Xanthy not long after. Nyxis cursed as he stretched. "Gods, what did the Heiress hit me with?"

"June?" Xanthy's gentle voice erased every tension in June's body. June forced himself to look at her, to stare into her round, brown eyes once more. He smiled. "I'm here."

Xanthy shook her head, peering at the chaos unfolding with Canelis growling and the Heiress in the High Queen's body screeching. "B-but you...with the High Queen," she stuttered as she drew her gaze back to June. "What's going on?"

June kissed her on the forehead. "Take Nyxis and Canelis with you," he was amazed that he was able to get away with doing that one last time. "Run."

"What about you?" Xanthy gripped his arm. More like...clawed. "You can't go back there."

He glanced behind him. "Just go," he shook his head and smiled at her once more. "I'll be fine."

"No, you're not," Xanthy's eyes were wide with realization. June's heart wrenched. How much about him and his destiny had she figured out? "Don't head back there. We could all escape."

Ah, the bright promise of hope. Xanthy still has a lot to learn about life. He stood up and tightened his grip on a stolen knife he plucked from one of the Unities. "Don't look back," he stood up and turned. "Please, Xanthy. Just—just run."