14 | Massacre (II)

"Hurry, into the entrance!" Reeca called to the mass of shard fairies as she stabbed a warrior by the neck

"Hurry, into the entrance!" Reeca called to the mass of shard fairies as she stabbed a warrior by the neck. She threw him off with a kick to the stomach. He slammed into the rest of the platoon assigned to break Reeca's plan off.

Her feet dangled a good few inches off the ground, spearing anyone who dared come for the throng of shard fairies evacuating into the forest. Her magic blazed from her arms as held up a wall made of branches and leaves, keeping the fairies from assaults from the rear. Reeca's sword dealt with the ones who found a way to get through.

Just a few more minutes.

Pulrin shouted for order, his voice ringing against the mountain's rumbling. What in the world was Elred doing up there? Rabante's ground shook. Cries of alarm swept through the shard fairies edging towards the bunker's entrance. How many more were still out? Was this all of Rabante?

Children clung to their mothers as both stared up at the groaning mountain. The army seemed to have forgotten their ascent and craned their necks as well. Reeca gripped her sword tighter. "Hurry up! How many more?" Reeca shouted at the line of trees hoping the wind carried it enough to Pulrin's location. A garbled reply came after. Hundreds. Probably.

A warrior screamed and hacked against Reeca's wall. In a flash, his arm was added into it. Reeca's sword dripped with blood. A few shard fairies who made it past her wall ducked their heads in thanks. Reeca's heart wrenched. She was tasked with this. Of course, she had to protect them.

Ugh, Xanthy would melt if that brownie ever knew about this. Cirasa, who stayed behind at the rear, glanced at her. Reeca's heart did a little skip. She growled. Stop it. She shook her head. This was a place for evacuation and not a flirting ground.

The mountain thundered and several chunks of the plateau shot towards them. Slow. They were going so slow. Glass walls sped through the trees' canopies but shattered as the chunks slammed into them. A scream tore through the queue. Pulrin shouted for order once more. Someone stumbled. Reeca cursed What in Emeria's name was Elred doing there?

Then, the earth shook. What—

A wave of magic swept from the top of the plateau and into the lower ground, hitting Reeca like a fishing vessel's paddle to the stomach. Her eyes widened as her weaving energy flickered. What's going on?

A deep rumbling sound echoed from the distance. The army gave a collective, terrified gasp. Reeca whirled to the plateau to find a carpet of rock, glass, and magic forming at the lip. Then, the avalanche sped towards Rabante.

"Into the bunker!" she yelled at the crowd. Panic was thick in the air, coloring the trees red. There's still a good number of shard fairies in the open. "Get inside!"

Soldiers turned and began following the shard fairies towards the bunker. Reeca cursed. Cowards, the lot of them.

Then, a sea of red dropped like swatted insects into the army. Reeca knitted her eyebrows. Nadia's mages? Judging from the screams of alarm that floated over the army, they're far gone. Reeca sent more of her weaving energy into her wall and dropped to the ground. She pushed back against the stampeding army. What was that strong blast of magic?